Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horn current
Hi there, Does anyone know how much current the Delorean horns draw? The reason I ask is I've bought a new pair and the instructions recommend wiring through a relay but I'd rather wire them as standard if the switch can take it.
VIN: 6511
just plug em in dan TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi there, Does anyone know how much current the Delorean horns draw? The reason I ask is I've bought a new pair and the instructions recommend wiring through a relay but I'd rather wire them as standard if the switch can take it.

Most multimeters have a current setting and have an extra high (unfused) 10 Amp one.
If you have one of these then why not connect your oem horn to a car battery with the multimeter in series and see what you get. Do this for both the oem horn and your new one to see if they are comparable.

If you do fit a relay then don't install it under the front of the car where it is likely to get drowned in water..................... :roll:

How is the job hunt??

NickT
Hi Nick, thats what I was going to do, but the reason I bought new horns is because the old ones are dead :wink:

Havn't found a job yet :roll:
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi Nick, thats what I was going to do, but the reason I bought new horns is because the old ones are dead :wink:

Havn't found a job yet :roll:

If the new horn is of similar design (electrical vibrating diaphragm) then I would just wire it in.
If the new type is definately bigger/ multiple/ air compressor driven (back to my youth here !) then you may need to fit the relay.

Good luck on the job hunt.

NickT
Yeah they look the same, it was just the instructions saying you must use a relay got me wondering. Probably covering themselves.