Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bonnet/hood doesn't fit?
Dear all,

Having removed my hood for front fascia removal, perhaps now is the time to do something about the hood not fitting!?

The tips never sit down properly against the fibreglass tub, exposing the inside of the luggage comp. to rain!

1. Dismantle hood further - and bend the tips down somehow (extreme I know)
2. Live with it?
3. Can the bonnet catch be moved down - it doesn't look like it....
4. Have two people permanently standing either side of the car pushing gently down on the hood tips whilst it rains......? :lol:

Any further suggestions?
Ta...Mats
Frenchy, 3866
DOC 100 Vin#3866 Ashington, West Sussex
I supose the easy way to see if the catch is the problem is by taking it off and seeing if the bonnet shuts lower... I know of someone who made the 'slots' in the bracket longer to make this adjust more.

Does it seem like the rubber seal is holding it up at the tips, I remember talking to another club member who said he had the same problem... in the end he took off the seal and it then sat correctly. I have also heard of people that have sanded down / re fibreglassed the raised 'rib' on the bodytub to make the bonnet sit correctly. All not a perfect solution know but seen a picture afterwards and it looked great.

If the wings fit correctly at the door edge, then without adjusting the doors and wings upwards, I cant see what else can be done... I think this would be a difficult solution as I believe the wings and fitted to match the doors...
Does the hood sit correctly against the buffer/bumper-stop ?

John C
Yes good shout John... these could simply be set too high Wink
Hi,

1. Take off bonnet catch from bulkhead (4 x M6 bolts)
2. Take off two bumpstop adjusters (2 x M8 locknuts)
3. Close lid.

A)Is it still high?

If so it's the old rubber bonnet seal not compressing properly (gone hard) Answer: replace seal.

OR

wings sitting too low. Answer see bottom of post.

B)If its sitting ok or low?

Replace bonnet catch WITHOUT bumpstops, tighten with catch as low as it will go.

Close and latch bonnet....is it high?

If so you need to elongate the slots in the catch so it sits lower (I had to do this by 3-4mm)

If it closed and was low, just unbolt the catch and raise it by said amount.

Finally replace bumpstops, screw a long way in and keep raising until they touch the underside of the bonnet and just lift it. Turn back in 1 turn and lock off.

Now if you suspect your wings need shimming, first take off the old bonnet seal to see if that's holding it up.

If not then this is where it gets complicated as you need to make sure the door alignment is correct before raising the wings, otherwise you'll end up working the way around the whole car tweaking this and that and get in a real mess.

If its ONLY the tips of the bonnet that are high and by the time your at 8" from the windscreen down the bonnet edge (adjacent to the wing) towards the front of the car...and its now level with the wing... you can just VERY VERY carefully bend the wing up to match the bonnet by the base of the screen.

Otherwise take it to Chris at PJ Grady's to do it for you.

Good luck
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Thanks guys,

Some great ideas to work on...... I think it's gonna be lowering the actual bonnet catch so that the rubber seal actually meets the fibreglass tub.... I didn't know that could be done, so thanks for that....

Will keep you posted...

Cheers again, Mats
DOC 100 Vin#3866 Ashington, West Sussex