Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning tips
So ok whats the best way to clean these things? atm ive just usual car washing stuff. Not sure how well just a normal wash would get rid of the fingerprints and make the stainless look yummy. Im thinking maybe proper stainless steel cleaner?
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Hi Mike

I clean cars day in day out, and the DeLorean is the same thing, just a different approach.

Make sure the stainless cleaner isnt too harsh Mike, as if it's too acidic, it will scar quite badly.
A good wash with a quality car shampoo to start, followed by a leather/chamois off.

Depending on the results you want, you can either leave it like that and dress the plastics/rubbers with appropriate dressings. Or you can use silicone like I do (Dash and vinyl dressing) , or baby oil but it will pick up dust this way. But its easy to go with the grain and get fingermarks off, plus it protects against lighter scratches to a point because its so slippery.

I use a particular product on every part of my cars, but because most of them are provided via work/cleaning companies, its hard to state the best.

Trial and error may be the answer, but like I said, avoid descaling stainless cleaners.

Good luck

Ben
How to clean your stainless steel is probably a bigger topic of debate as which oil to use in it Smile

I use either Lakeland stainless steel cleaner or WD40 ....

WD40 ....I noticed a few weeks ago they now lists " Cleans stainless steel " on the side.

Try it on say the rear lower wheel arch you will be suprised how nice it comes up .. just use kitchen roll to 'dry' it off for a lovely sheen Wink
I will agree with Bozzzy, to a point...... its just the awful smell, and if you are wearing light clothes and you brush against it after a drive on a warm dusty day, prepare for skid marks on your clobber... Sad
LOL... never noticed any skid marks on my trousers Wink

I do dry it off well with kitchen roll afterwards rather than leaving it glossy otherwise yes i can see it attracting dust etc..

Oh Mike dont press on your bonnet when cleaning or the dreaded 'X' will appear over time.....
OK, thanks both, will have a go at giving it a good clean at the weekend if it stays dry long enough
DOC 527
Vin #10264
You got you'er car then, All that saving paid of then, well done.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
Thanks Neal. Yes the saving took along time but was worth it
DOC 527
Vin #10264
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:I will agree with Bozzzy, to a point...... its just the awful smell, and if you are wearing light clothes and you brush against it after a drive on a warm dusty day, prepare for skid marks on your clobber... Sad

WD40 also makes an alternative to aftershave !!!!

3M, Lakeland Stainless Cleaner or WD40 for me.

NickT
I used to use WD40 on mine until eurotec when I was told off by the twins :wink: I now use the cleaner we were given at eurotec, I find that works really well indeed.

I'm looking forward to cleaning mine up actually as the body is sat in the corner of the garage at the moment so I can't get round it, and it has a thick layer of dust over it now Sad
VIN: 6511
hi guys/dan
i was on a bit of a cleaning frenzy that day dan, sorry for the telling off :wink: :lol:
i have found this stuff to be the best at cleaning in my opinion

the stuff i was using that day was called a mellomene pad or "microfibre pad".
ever since i bought my car i have been trying everything from wd40 to white spirits to clean the car but always found a nasty residue was left behind :x . i eventually learned this was because these were oil based products . these were "residues" of dirt dust etc left over and buried deep into the grain and would show up again(kinda of a yellowy scum marks) especially after i cleaned it getting ready for the next show.

i got the stuff from a company in cork called jsk cleaning - http://www.jskcleaning.ie
basically its a 3 step process;

you use the mellomene with the special stainless"green stuff" cleaner and water dip into this ,and rub down the panel
next you wipe the excess off with a chamois
then just buff to a shine with the microfibre cloth.
the results i have found to be excellent - the mellomene and "green stuff" work together to get right down into the grain and clean all the gunk out of it. this then brings the panel back to its original shine.

it has also gotten stubborn tar and rust spots off my stainless Big Grin

also when your finished with the stainless you can use the mellomene for all your windows/glass aswell. no need for glass polish. - its the same process as above except you dont use the "green stuff" on the glass;
just dip the mellomene into the water , rub down the glass
wipe off excess with chamois
and buff to a shine

the owner is tadgh o'shea -he s a sound guy. you can e mail him and he ll put together a "delorean car care kit" for you if you like - i think the cost is approx 60 euros

good luck with the cleaning mike Big Grin
cheers
shane&ian