Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miss Since Service.....
I think if it were me I would be looking at the leads as well, even perhaps swaping with a good known set?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Hi everyone, I mentioned this 3 weeks ago, but i'm refreshing the subject in the appropriate area to rule out suggestions.

Had a service 3 weeks ago, where only the following were changed....

Engine oil
Gearbox oil
Coolant
Starter Motor
Spark plugs
(Dizzy cap, rotor, and fuel filter were on the cards, but left alone due to their awkwardness. Dizzy cap and rotor arm for obvious reasons, fuel filter cos the screws kept turning, and didn't seem worth taking all the cowling off to get to the back of them)

The car starts fine, and ticks over fine, no problem on all 6 cylinders.

Under acceleration today, while still cold - ish, the car bogged down until the throttle was released a little in a few gears - never done this before.

When the engine warmed, that part seemed to be ok, but when accelerating, there seems slight hesitance until it gets to a certain revs, then it picks up fine.

Even when I rev the car from the engine compartment, it seems to lose a cylinder about 2000 rpm, then get it back about 3000 rpm, but its far more noticable when in gear accelerating gently.

I watched the guy change the spark plugs, and i'm almost certain that all the leads are secure by pushing them home as best as I can get to them.

While they were attemting to change the dizzy cap, the first clip was removed, but it wasnt long before it was put back on ! Think it was a job more suited with the engine out....... did they disturb something there?

Is there anything "Simple" that I should be looking for here ?

While what you describe could be caused by a number of things, you have to look at the most likely scenario based on what was done. If they were fiddling down the back there, there's a good chance a vacuum hose has been knocked off or the HT leads have been disturbed in some way. Check your vac routing diagram and check they're all in place. The way they behave is different on a cold engine from hot. Check all HT leads are pushed on the cap firmly as well as the king lead, and are you sure the cap has been clipped back on properly? Bunch of monkeys not being able to work out how to get at it, and equally not seeing that it's a piece of piss to get a spanner on the nuts that hold the fuel filter on - there's no need to remove the sh!t shield. As for evacuating the coolant system - if you have a leaky rad, that's going to suck air into the system :roll: and may very well have opened up the hole more.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
good point, remember the havoc that vac leak on my inlet manifold caused on my car?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Might be worth running the engine in the dark and giving it a good look over to make sure there are no sparks going astray anywhere. I've had this one before, there was a stray spark in the region of the dizzy but can't remember exactly which lead. I have also found that one of the leads had a habit of just detatching itself slightly from the plug, leading to a miss. I replaced my leads with a set of Volvo ones last back end and has been 100% ever since. (The ones recommended in the 'Parts Equivalent' section.) Can't remeber the supplier but they were exceptionally quick.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126