Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel level sender fix
Hi there,

Has anyone ever worked on the standard delorean fuel sender? Before I took my car apart it would sometimes read that the tank was over filled (needle would go vertically up) and then the car would run out of fuel before the light came on. I know these senders aren't brilliant anyway, but it worked fine when I first bought the car. I have the sender out of the tank but don't really know what to measure or repair.

Cheers,
Dan
VIN: 6511
Oh dear, I just tried to undo the small nut at the bottom of the sender and it sheared the end off Cry Thats done it, new sender time :roll: Does anyone know anywhere that sells these apart from Houston and Ed, do they cross reference to anything?

Dan
oh dear mate Shock some senders were saab but used some sort of box to make them work i dont know who does them other than the usual, i think i got one of the last of the tankzilla's so not sure if any are left TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I didn't know they'd stopped making 'zilla' parts. Does the zilla box just make a saab unit work on a delorean gauge?

I might have to buy a new DMC one off Ed then. It seems everyday I find somthing else to buy for this car :roll:
ah the joys of owning a 27yr old car eh, dont be too fussy with these senders dan none of them work properly anyway, they only tell you when you have petrol to half a tank ,and then its a guessing game how much is in there after that TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I think I'll just get a houston one for it then :roll:
As TT mentioned the Tank Zilla's are based on a Saab sender with a box of electronics to give the correct output for the gauge. The TankZilla's give a linear reading where as the DMCH ones are stepped.

Unfortunately Bob Zilla has given up making them for PJ Grady and when I have asked Rob Grady in the past he said he is trying to get more made but does not look good Cry

So unless you are lucky and find a 2nd hand Zilla you will have to use a DMCH one, though on the upside they are/were half the price of the Tank Zilla. The DMCH ones can be a bit of a pain to seal correctly as I remember but otherwise are OK.

BTW, check the gauge connections as I had a problem with the gauge pointing upwards occasionally so I used some switch cleaner on the needle pivot and cleaned up the connections and it was OK after that.
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Hi Chris, I don't think its connections to the gauge because the warning light stopped working as well. I also had the binnacle out a while ago and it still did it. Anyway my sender is most definitly broken now. I'll pick a dmch one up from Ed at the weekend then. Hopfuly soon I can start putting bits back on the car, not taking them off all the time!

Its a shame they don't make the zillas anymore. If they won't make them they could release circuit diagrams so we can build them ourselves.

Dan
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi Chris, I don't think its connections to the gauge because the warning light stopped working as well. I also had the binnacle out a while ago and it still did it. Anyway my sender is most definitly broken now. I'll pick a dmch one up from Ed at the weekend then. Hopfuly soon I can start putting bits back on the car, not taking them off all the time!

Its a shame they don't make the zillas anymore. If they won't make them they could release circuit diagrams so we can build them ourselves.

Dan

Dan

Make sure you get the newest one that is slightly shorter and with a better sealing ring and a more accurate guage.

Mike
ChrisS Wrote:BTW, check the gauge connections as I had a problem with the gauge pointing upwards occasionally so I used some switch cleaner on the needle pivot and cleaned up the connections and it was OK after that.

I had that once or twice too, and after unplugging a few things, and rerouting the sender cable, its been fine.

BTW Dan, give me a shout when you've been to Ed's, and i'll get them parts collected from you! :wink:

Good luck with your sender.....

MrP
bozzzydmc Wrote:Dan

Make sure you get the newest one that is slightly shorter and with a better sealing ring and a more accurate guage.

Mike

Hi Mike, is the newer one shorter than a standard delorean one? I'll need to compare them at Ed's to make sure its the right one.

Dan
Yes the first 'new' one was too long and didnt seal well to the opening .... just like the one i have !

They brought out a 'new' new one mid to back end of last rear out slightly shorter, better seal and more increments inside to measure the level...
So if I compare my delorean one to Ed's new one, it has to be the same length or slightly shorter than mine.
Yes
So the earlier dmc ones were actually longer than the original!! :roll: