Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
torsion bar splines.
hi everybody.

i purchased a NOS passenger torsion bar from Houston week before last (ordered it on the Tuesday - it was here on the Thursday Shock )

anyway, has anyone had experience fitting new torsion bars? there's just the one aspect of the install I'm asking about (i believe I've read all there is to read about technique and install method)

essentially my problem is that I can't fit the torsion bar bracket (the one that bolts to the B pillar) to the new bar. it's like the diameter of the spline end of the new bar is too big. I don't want to force the bracket on and ruin the splines, you see. the bracket fits on the old (broken) bar easy slides on and off nicely.

I just thought I'd ask here, then maybe go back to Houston :/

I wonder if new brackets are slightly larger than used ones?

ho hum

I'll post an update to the project thread, just as soon as i get these freakin' doors back on. (they take up a lot of space off the car, you know Smile )

cheers.
Dave.
Weren't the earlier cars different spec (AF) to later ones (Metric) ??

NickT
I never heard that, but cheers nick. I've sorted this out. I e-mailed Ed to ask if he had any NOS brckets and to see what he thought.

I ended up filing a little (very little) off the end off three of four splines and tapping the bracket on. fits like a glove.

Dave.
Glad you got it sorted !

NickT