Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAINLESS EXHAUST DECEMBER SPECIAL
I think also Chris N told me, that he fits everything loosely then tightens it all up.

I am not sure if he has done Gez yet though.
I did it with it all loose, the manifold is flat against the head, the side pipe is flat against the manifold, the manifold is square to the chassis and thats the gap you see, there's no movement anywhere to take up that gap. I'm going to phone them tomorrow and have a moan. I want the flange on that side pipe adjusting and a new manifold for the other side making up. Even if cranking up the bolts did manage to make it seal, it would only just seal and probably start blowing after a while, or the tube would crack as stainless can stress fracture easily.

The drivers side manifold is crap, I put a steel ruler against the flanges and the middle one is well off in all directions, no wonder it doesn't fit.
VIN: 6511
Good point Dan, that may well be the case.

It doesnt appear good enough at all, there should be no compromise in quality.

I know that JRG is going to fit his over the next 72 hrs, have to see what he says.
Hi Dan,
Sorry to hear you're having a shocker with the exhaust - I think Chris said he was going to do mine earlier this week so I'll email him and find out if he had any problems...
If it is simply that the fit is wrong, I'm sure Don will sort it out for you -although I appreciate how annoying it is in the meantime. :x
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Dan - I've forwarded you an email from Chris N with his thoughts about it. He's not had a problem with build quality before but they can require some wiggling. May be of some use!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I saw the email, thanks for that Gez. His advice on making the manifold fit by drilling out the holes, to get it to fit I'd have to drill the holes so big that they would go over the edge of the flange. Before I do anything else with it I am going to get the manifold sorted out and the pair of them torqued to the head, then with the silencer square and in the center of the chassis I will see where the side pipes are, if they are still out then, which I suspect they will be, then they will also have to go back for tweaking. Maybe I've just been unlucky and they are normally very good. I don't expect to pay 700 quid for a system and then have to drill holes out larger so it fits!!
I have been playing with the DeLorean today and managed to get the passanger and drivers side SS Headers on, all went quite well, it was a bit of a bugger getting at a couple of the nuts to the old passenger side manifold with the starter in the way, I removed the 2 nuts for the starter but couldn't seem to wiggle it free so I gave up on that and worked round it.

Like most jobs on the delorean it's not really hard as such just time consuming.

Anyway I have a few of queeries...

1) Where does the oil dipstich tube run with the new headers installed? I took the tube off as i didn't want to squash it while I was moving stuff around.
I can get it back in the hole in the sump but can't work out which manifold stud its supposed to be attached to perhaps somone has a photo they could upload?

2) Where can I get new exhaust bushes? I can install it with the old ones but they are really perished and I wondered if they were an off the shelf part or is it a DMC vendor job

3) Did anyones kit include bolts/nuts to join the sections together? mine doesn't so I'll have to buy some ss ones tommorow, no problem but I just thought I'd check to see if they should have been included.

Ta in advance

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Dan1986 Wrote:I saw the email, thanks for that Gez. His advice on making the manifold fit by drilling out the holes, to get it to fit I'd have to drill the holes so big that they would go over the edge of the flange. Before I do anything else with it I am going to get the manifold sorted out and the pair of them torqued to the head, then with the silencer square and in the center of the chassis I will see where the side pipes are, if they are still out then, which I suspect they will be, then they will also have to go back for tweaking. Maybe I've just been unlucky and they are normally very good. I don't expect to pay 700 quid for a system and then have to drill holes out larger so it fits!!

Hi Dan,

I know it's of little consolation but you must have just been very unlucky, this company has sent their DMC exhausts all over the world not to mention the number of DOC owners who have purchased and fitted them over the past few years and to date I've never heard of anything but praise for the design/service.

I'm sure it'll all get sorted, if you're in a rush for the replacement parts it might be worth having a word with Al Vanstone as I'm pretty sure he's not intending to fit his in the near future so he may be able to help.

Hopefully it's just a 1 off error, these things happen sometime, (usually to me!!!)

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Yeah I'm sure it will get sorted, its just more waiting and messing around when I could be doing other stuff on it.

The reason your starter wouldn't come off with 2 bolts removed is because its held on with 3 :wink:

Mine didn't come with bolts either, I just got stainless M8 bolts and spring washers and nuts from the nuts and bolts rack at work :wink:
Dan1986 Wrote:The reason your starter wouldn't come off with 2 bolts removed is because its held on with 3 :wink:
Ahh that might explain it lol
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
cant be a s bad as me trying to lever off a cylinder head cos i only undone the 4 bolts lol TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
JamesRGUK Wrote:Anyway I have a few of queeries...

1) Where does the oil dipstich tube run with the new headers installed? I took the tube off as i didn't want to squash it while I was moving stuff around.
I can get it back in the hole in the sump but can't work out which manifold stud its supposed to be attached to perhaps somone has a photo they could upload?

[Image: DSC02097640x480.jpg]

[Image: DSC02098640x480.jpg]

[Image: DSC02099640x480.jpg]

Hope these pics help James

2) Where can I get new exhaust bushes? I can install it with the old ones but they are really perished and I wondered if they were an off the shelf part or is it a DMC vendor job

DMC Vendor
3) Did anyones kit include bolts/nuts to join the sections together? mine doesn't so I'll have to buy some ss ones tommorow, no problem but I just thought I'd check to see if they should have been included.

Should have come with Kit ... Maybe ring Don and ask where they are ?
Ta in advance

James
bozzzydmc Wrote:Should have come with Kit ... Maybe ring Don and ask where they are ?

Mine didn't come with bolts, also speaking to Chris N today, he said that Gez's system didn't either. It looks like they've not bothered as they were cheaper systems.
blimey im exhausted after reading this post :? TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:blimey im exhausted after reading this post :? TT
GROAN 8)
chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584