Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean buying / tuning advice
Claire Usher Wrote:Hi Darren,

My car was shipped from Long Beach CA too with TGAL - my car came in on the
Singapore Express - any idea what ship yours was?

Actually, I found out that the Singapore Express was impounded once to do with a suspected
drugs bust or summat......... nothing to do with a DeLorean on board at the time tho!! lol

(how sad am I, I've even got pictures of the ship my car sailed over on!! lol :lol: )

[Image: singaporeexpress.jpg]

Hi Claire,

Came over on board the Tamerlane, with another D Big Grin
Would be good to find out how the other cars getting on. I think P J Grady were contacted about some spare keys for the other car, but not sure who it went to?

Kind regards
D

P.S judging by your photo...would you feel safe with a car in one of those containers, or strapped down on deck five, nice and warm! ?
VIN 4532

DOC-574
lol, lets just say I found that picture long after the car was safely parked on my drive!!

It did make me wonder though, how safe those container ships are! Shock
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
LOL... you lot worry too much... whatever could go wrong with these things ? Wink

[Image: grimaldi_09.jpg]
oooooooooops.

Hi Jez,

With VAT at 15% next week your looking to save £25 per thousand, so if the car owes you £6K inc shipping your in for £150 off the import VAT Big Grin

lucky sod.

regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Thats a very good point... now i wonder how sales will slump on goods even further.... until next week ? :roll:
Good point there Mike I didn't think of that.

The people I feel sorry for are people running their own businesses. The amount of work that will be needed to adjust the accounts systems etc for this change, and then in a years time change it all back again. Crazy.
VIN: 6511
Cheers guys, yeah you're right- watched the VAT announcements with some interest! Will have spent over 7k so the 2.5% difference will definitely help the fact I only got an exchange rate of 1.46!

Booked up the domestic and international shipping, if I'm lucky the car will get picked up Weds- but who knows... Still hoping I can get it back over here for Xmas.
VIN 7176
DOC 643
jerzybondov Wrote:Cheers guys, yeah you're right- watched the VAT announcements with some interest! Will have spent over 7k so the 2.5% difference will definitely help the fact I only got an exchange rate of 1.46!

Booked up the domestic and international shipping, if I'm lucky the car will get picked up Weds- but who knows... Still hoping I can get it back over here for Xmas.

£ 1.46 ... thats sad to see , I remember the last thing i got from the US was £1.97...
I have got a picture of the ship that your car went on first.! :lol:
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
Right, in a roundabout way bringing this thread back to the original question...

7176 is currently hanging around at Baltimore docks and will be getting on a boat next Tuesday. I'm pretty sure that I'd like to upgrade (although maybe that's a matter of opinion :lol: ) the fuel system to the Volvo bits to give it a bit more oomph (similar to Dan's DGS and Claire's spec). Apparently it can be a bit tricky to get hold of some of the bits so I thought if I'm going to do it I ought to get going in advance, i.e. now!

The question is, what bits do I need to get hold of? A little bit of searching the forum tells me I'll need at least:
Volvo metering head (0438 100 120, 0438 100 006 - are these as good as each other, and also known as a dizzy?)
Volvo venturi (is this some kind of pipe thing?)
Volvo inlet / throttle body?
Plenium?

Any help would be much appreciated, and also any information about where I might be able to get hold of any of these bits!

Thanks all, looking forward to January...! :lol:
VIN 7176
DOC 643
There is a lot of information in the DOC Parts Section about this Wink
Hi Gez

If I were you I would get the car running properly first with the stock gear,apart from the exhaust!...then add bits on at a later date if you feel you need a bit more oommph!, people have had varied success with changing over to the Volvo stuff.
Hi Gez,

This is the info for partnumbers you need. Mine has the bits from the 760.

The venturi is actually called the air mass meter. The metering head is called the fuel distributor.

My car has air mass meter, fuel distributor, ignition distributor. This setup also means you can loose the frequency valve and lambda sensor and lamda ecu.

[Image: boschvolvo.JPG]
VIN: 6511
Thanks Dan!

Is the venturi the air flow/mass sensor on that list then? Also does the ignition distributor go by a different name or am I just being blind/stupid?!

Does anyone know where the best places are to look for these bits? Are there still any NOS parts kicking around anywhere?

I'm going to try and accumulate as much info as possible and then make my mind up about whether I want to take the risk of doing it... Might also depend on how sweetly the car runs when I get my hands on it.
VIN 7176
DOC 643
car breakers my friend, mine come from there £60 all in TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor