Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stub axle nut
Ive just read some instructions on fitting an angle drive and it says your supposed to loosen the big nut that holds the hub on, before undoing to nut at the back of the stubaxle with the angledrive in. Am I missing somthing? When I did mine, I just undid the the angle drive nut at the back of the stub axle. Why would you need to release the one that holds the hub on? :?
VIN: 6511
I had the same issue when I did mine last year (replaced bearings/hubs/Etc Etc) I 'think' you have to do it that way around because the stub axle is tapered and you can not get sufficiant tourque on the rear of the stub axle where the angle drive attaches. if this makes any sence!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Funny enough I was only doing this on Saturday ....

Basically your releasing the front nut on the sub axle to make the rear nut come off easier as it is all torqued up to something like 200nm which is difficult to break just from the rear due to access problems.
I still dont understand though. The rear nut pulls the taper into its hole, so loosening the nut on the front wont make the rear one easier to undo becuase the shaft cant move back because of the taper :? I could understand the theory if the stub axle was parrallel...
Dan1986 Wrote:I still dont understand though. The rear nut pulls the taper into its hole, so loosening the nut on the front wont make the rear one easier to undo becuase the shaft cant move back because of the taper :? I could understand the theory if the stub axle was parrallel...

I think it's so that you can get the angle drive nut on fully and tight on the stub axle and then put on the hub and the tourque that up. As there is no way to tourque up the stub axle properly using the angle drive nut :?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584