Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing the water pump pulley.
thanks guys.

if im totally honest, I'll admit that i actually knackered the head on one of the intake manifold screws when removing it - i had to cut it off with my dremel tool...

the screw remains, so im going to have to figure out how to get it out (heat/backwards screw)

someone's going to tell me off if i use heat, i know it :oops: :lol: :?

cheers
Dave.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Barson Wrote:the screw remains, so im going to have to figure out how to get it out (heat/backwards screw)

Dont use heat Tongue

I would recomend plenty of WD40, and a stud extractor..the roller type http://www.tooled-up.com/Artwork/ProdZoom/55641.jpg

Then put pressure on the stud as tho it was going to undo as normal, but not too much pressure it could snap then keep hitting the extractor with a hammer. Eventually it should turn. That trick has always worked for me. Works a treat on exhust studs Smile

It there is not enough of the bolt showing for this to work then drill out / dremel out..just take it slow.

Good luck
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
ok, I've ordered a stud extractor.

but what am I going to do with my blow torch i bought?

suppose i could just use it to light my cigars..... Big Grin

thanks for your help.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
NickT Wrote:I don't have that problem on mine claire, i wonder if your radiator needs a flush out or something.

I compared both pumps and they were the same in all dimensions apart from the pulley part.

Each to their own though.

NIckT.

Got a rebuilt rad on my car, new otterstat, etc, but it still does it. In the summer I had my fans rigged up to run constantly so that I didnt have to rev the nuts off my car in traffic to keep her cool.

Like I say, I was told this was a characteristic of the Volvo pump, so I dont know if its true or just a characteristic of my car :?

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hi

just a small point.

i replaced the bottom pipe with an OEM (thanx Martin) after all the original had lasted 25 years.

as far as i am aware it is not good to install any stainless on the cooling system...bimetalic reaction.
please correct me if i'm wrong.

also a hot tip, when you have the air intake off i use small bath plugs(a couple of quid for six) to block the intake holes...works a treat.

i also scraped out the holes by the valley (full of grit and sand) the fitted a straw (with duct tape) to my hoover and sucked the crap out, and all the nooks and crannies. i used meths/acetone/terps/white spirit, then metal ready from Frost.co.uk, to prime the alloy.
then painted all with HT engine enamel. may have some pics somewhere.

be carefull what grease you use on the o-rings, as some eats the rubber.

a place in Wolverhampton rebuilds your stock water pump and removes/recoats the pulley (think i paid about £60)+lifetime guarantee.

Details if you need.

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
This might be worth a read:

http://www.npl.co.uk/lmm/docs/bimetallic.pdf

Good idea about the sink plugs, I'll have to remember that one !

NickT.
steve.s Wrote:also a hot tip, when you have the air intake off i use small bath plugs(a couple of quid for six) to block the intake holes...works a treat.

Steve

Do you need the chains with these.. if so where did you attach them to the car ??

:lol:

Would like to see a picture of that Smile
hi i'll sort an image...these can't be hosted here though can they?

Definately no chains!.

got them from a wilkinson store and fit a treat, save using rags. (maybe wilkinson only in the west mids?)

stops all the rubbish falling down the hole.

a tense moment though...one of the spark plugs broke, leaving a bit of ceramic in the screw thread....hoover go it out though.

i used release oil down the holes, every day for a few days to get the plugs out. (had been in 12 years plus!), also changed all the sensors in the y pipe, shot blasted the y pipe, changed the small bore air pipes (and added a hervey style colour coding.
changed some of the water pipes, used copper grease on many fittings, recon pump, shot blasted the air intake, took the plunger out the metering head ....carefully.....

i've been busy over 18 months and still no MOT!

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
steve.s Wrote:hi i'll sort an image...these can't be hosted here though can they?

Steve

No not directly, but you can just use something like 'photobucket' and copy the URL straight into your message.

Keep up the good work :wink: