Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fibre glass repair
Hi all,

At the weekend my car was on ramps and we discovered that a piece of the fibreglass body has scraped on somthing some time in its life, at the bottom of the rear wheel arch where it folds round to go under the seats. It has scraped and taken off an area about an inch square so you can see the fibers showing. Does anyone have any advice on repairing this? I was thinking of just filling it with fiber glass resin, then sanding it down smooth once set. Would this be ok or is there special stuff for this?

Thanks,
Dan
VIN: 6511
Hi Dan,

If its only a cosmetic repair that'll do fine. You could use filler too as its resin based. The main thing is to stop water ingress. Against popular belief fibreglass can delaminate if water gets into the matting, more so if it then freezes. It's therefore always wise to "seal" any knocks and scrapes.

If its structural you'll need matting and resin. Remember to really key the surfaces, as new fibreglass wont stick to old unless correctly prepared.

Good luck

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Hi thanks Darren Big Grin Its not structural, just cosmetic, but was advised about water getting in as you say so I'll try and do it before taking it out in the wet again.

Thanks, Dan
VIN: 6511
:roll:
Glen & Sam Wrote::roll:

Helpful comment there Glen...
I am sure that I remember someone saying that at some stage, that car had been moved by a forklift either here or in the US.

That might explain where the damage came from.