Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean CO2 figures?
Hey Guys,

I'm just in the process of registering my D, and wondered if anyone could tell me the CO2 figures or what emission band the car is in? I'm guessing it's gonna be a £400 jobby? :oops:

Thanks! Tongue
nope.

have a look here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... G_10012524

The Delorean is in the 'Cars registered before 1 March 2001', 'Engine Size Over 1549'.

Meaning that 6 months is £101.75 and 12 months is £185.00.
DeLorean's (due to their age) are relatively safe from the new tax banding. This means that unless Mr Brown decides to drastically change taxation on older cars (registered pre-March 2001) then DeLorean owners will by on large do quite well out of the changes coming up. I think based on past experience most 'average' pre-2001 cars soon reach 'un-economical' in their cost of running in relation to their steady depreciation and therefore rather than rust killing older cars it is economics. Scrap metal has rocketed (due to Third-World countries not being able to get enough of the stuff for their industrial evolution) so some cars are worth more as scrap than being kept on the road! I digress... Last January I paid £185 for 12 months tax. I think the new figure will be £200 where as my wife's 2004 Crossfire 3.2V6 will rise from the £210? she paid last year to the new £440 rate (and even more in 2010).

The Conservatives used to have a rolling 25 year rule i.e. when your car reached 25 years old it would be free from the annual tax! It was Labour that froze the 25 year old rule to cars registered only prior to 1st January 1973!

More can be read here:-
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 842848.ece
http://tinyurl.com/56u9yb

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/mai ... tax210.xml
http://tinyurl.com/6dn9kn

Even so DeLorean owners do well due to their cars remaining rock steady in their value worse case scenario. Appreciation seems to have been the only trend in recent years. Great news for owners Big Grin but this on the flip side makes it harder for those wanting to get onto the DeLorean ladder Sad. For example cars that were in the £15k-£17k range in 2002 (when I was ready to buy a DMC-12) are now sometimes selling up to £20-£23k (for an immaculate left hander)!

The other great thing about DeLorean ownership is the cost of parts. For example:-
- DeLorean Steering rack (approximately £250)
- Chrysler Crossfire rack (approximately £2000 supplied and fitted from a Chrysler dealer) Shock
- BMW 1 series seat belt socket £X
- BMW 7 series seat belt socket £X x lots (just because the car is worth maybe triple, BMW will therefore charge perhaps triple the cost)

On the subject of CO2 figures:-
Any car registered before 1992 (can't remember the month) doesn't in the UK need to have a CAT fitted, so many DeLorean owners remove them to enhance performance. The CO2 figures are generous, so, unless your PRV engine is not running right you should have no problems at the MOT station...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
I've got the figures from my MOT pass on Friday -

CO2 - Limit 4.500%, actual reading 0.158%
HC - Limit 1200ppm, actual reading 338ppm

This was a 'metered check for a non catalyst equipped vehicle'
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Just having a quick look at the website and VED form the DVLA have sent me, as the car has never been registered in the UK before, would that not make the date of first registration essentially 2008, and therefore stitching me up right royally?
box 25 of the v55/5, just put the first day of the month in which it was built.

the explanatory notes say 'enter the date the vehicle was first registered (irrespective of which country this took place).'

that should do.

box 26, the dvla should fill in.
That is brilliant! Thanks guys, you're all absolute legends! Tongue

I was preparing myself for a nasty surprise when it came to the tax, but that's quite a relief! Big Grin
Don't confuse CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) with CO (Carbon Monoxide)

The emissions test is for CO.

Regards,

NickT.

ps Typical CO2 is 12% +
Hi Nick,

My D is having an mot in week or two. Just to confirm, the CO should be 2% for mine shouldn't it? And if its too high then turning the screw clockwise will decrease it won't it?

Cheers.
VIN: 6511
i think its clock wise richer and anti clockwise weaker, well it could be either 50/50 chance :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi Nick,

My D is having an mot in week or two. Just to confirm, the CO should be 2% for mine shouldn't it? And if its too high then turning the screw clockwise will decrease it won't it?

Cheers.

2% yes. (1.5 % to 2.5% is tolerance)

NickT