Poll: Would we keep our DeLorean's if prices exceeded 50k ?
Yes
No
I'll tell you if and when they do!!!!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appreciation And Deppreciation
Me and my work colleage was having a discussion the other day. Basically it was about DeLorean values.

When I went with him to the beaulieu international autojumble in september 2000 (6 years ago), some of you may remember a DeLorean for sale there. If my memory serves me right, the asking price was £5500. We was actually selling an X plated Ford Cortina Estate for £2000 which we sold within the first hour may I add. The DeLorean was only there for the Saturday, and was gone on the Sunday, weather it was sold or only entered on the Saturday I don't know.

It was all that time ago I was first interested in getting one, but didn't have the funds then etc. It wasn't until about 15 months ago that I decided I wanted to pursue this ambition. And my first research told me I could probrably own a nice one for about 12k and there were several for sale on our website of that price, and ebay had some on offer too.
Then when this year started, it's like they shot up from 12k to 14k, then 14k to 16k etc. I know that all cars vary, but I'm slowly getting to the point here (And I mean slowly!!!)

What do you members think the minimal value was of the DeLorean and in which year it reached it's minimum before it started to appreciate. We know that most of our car's are worth more now than what they were when they were bought new, but you have to consider inflation.

And when do you think DeLorean prices will peak, and at what price???

This is going to be tricky, maybe we can ask Doc Brown to look for us??? LOL

Thanks in advance for your interest in this topic, I'm kinda hoping they will make a nice retirement plan for all of us some day (Thats if any of us want to part with them!) And take time to have a vote......
The cheapest delorean I've seen on the internet was for either 3K/5K only had a broken wter pump and high miles other than that it was fine for an easy resto that was about 3/4 years ago.

The Deloreans have increased in value from what I see. I believe the increase is mostly down to many owners clubs getting the car to shows and events putting the car back into the public eye and because of the unfortunate passing of John Delorean.
I rember watching a tv programe about 6 years ago when Ed Bernstein was interviewed saying he thought prices would reach $75,000. :!: Shock

I think at the moment, prices are pretty stable and I dont think they'll go too high.

I was 'lucky' with Flopsy, as I bought her when project cars were still cheap (and before the import duties changed). The car cost me £2872.46 ($4500 @ $1.56 = £1.00) in July 2002. To my door, including shipping, port fees and duty, she owed me about £4100. Obviously, I've spent thousands on her, and there is still along way to go, but I reckon, when she's finished, she'll owe me about £10k, and be worth about £15k.

I'll never sell her though!! :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
theres no way in this world i would get of my car evan if went higher the mrs has just hit it on the head glen would get rid of the me,dogs, aprt from instein,house he would rather live in a caravan than sell this car

from sam

( with glen fighting over the keybord ) Big Grin Big Grin
Sorry Sam but if i had a car like herman I wouldn't get rid of it for all the money in the world, and not even if james may told me to sell it!! Big Grin I would rather get rid of my house and live in the delorean!!... if i had one Cry
Its interesting to hear of all your views. Keep them up.....
Hi,

With any car - condition is everything.
Some DeLoreans have sold for 4, 5, 6K - but for this kind of money they would have either needed a lot of work,
or were genuine bargains.

I have noticed that prices have gone up in the last year - perhaps because sellers are taking advantage
of the media coverage, buyer guides & car show exposure due to the 25th anniversary celebrations.

Perhaps there are people out there who are prepared to pay these higher prices ( which is good ).
But since the average age of a DeLorean enthusiast is in their mid twenties ( & younger ) the asking price for a
Delorean will probably remain within their grasp. I wanted a D since my teens - and it took me 8 years to save up for a good one,
If they cost any more it would have been out of my financial reach. So in my opinion they will probably hover around 15K .
Mint/ low milage cars, RHDs, Pilot cars, etc, of course will be more!

I think delorean prices peaked in the first few months of 1981 didn't they? , my cars first owner forked out $36K to the dealer to get his hands on it.
Whats that - £24,000
Then in 1983/84 Ds were auctioned off for 14/15K (which was a lot more back then, than today)
& I bought mine for £13K back in february ( which only needed a little work to get sorted )

You can probably invest your money in a Delorean with confidence that it won't depreciate, plus have a lot of fun in the meantime,
but I wouldn't expect to double my money if I ever decide to sell.

All the best
Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
well me personally would sell my car quicker than a ferret down a rabbit hole :lol: but thats easy to say when the only time they will reach that figure is when they are inflation linked.but in real terms they have gone down in price, as in the uk you could buy a 2 bed flat for the same money as a De in 1981, scary eh
cheers(may i get struck by lightening) TT Tony
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor