Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed MOT :-(
Well, I might have known the car wouldnt have passed having been laid up for so long.......

MOT failed this morning on Flopsy -

Ball joints

Coolant Leak

Handbrake

Plus they couldnt test the emissions due to the coolant leak

Am I p1$$ed off or what :evil:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
sorry to hear that.

Mine is still up there...apparently they're having trouble with passing it on handbrake efficiency :/

Not sure what they're doing with it. it's got new pads and had been adjusted properly....

I'm not sure how difficult it is to tighten a couple of screws.
it seems that DeLorean handbrakes are notorious. Phill struggled to get Sorbet passed with new handbrake pads.

It seems that MOT centres dont allow for the fact that they are designed to be cr4p Sad
My handbrake is shocking, basicly total waste of time so I park in gear. Mines due an MOT this month too :?
well, i thought i adjusted mine well. I put the hand brake on fully and tried to push the thing - it creeks, but nothing happened. The car was fixed to the ground.

we're only talking about 16% efficiency, aren't we - equivalent of a 1 in 6.25 slope?

I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to move the thing on the flat.

ho hum
Barson Wrote:well, i thought i adjusted mine well. I put the hand brake on fully and tried to push the thing - it creeks, but nothing happened. The car was fixed to the ground.

we're only talking about 16% efficiency, aren't we - equivalent of a 1 in 6.25 slope?

ho hum

Hi

How are you adjusting this ? At the 'split pin' nut (30) or on the cable length adjusting nut (22) at the retaining bracket ...if that makes sense ...

[Image: 6-2-1.gif]

I would say there is too much slack in the cable , prior to final adjustment on the split pin nut...
I guess you're right. I only adjusted the caliper adjusting screw part 37 on that sheet.

considered the cable number, but after I adjusted the caliper screw the car seemed better, so i went with it.

I guess they've sorted it, because they tell me it's ready to pick up. I'll find out all tomorrow.

cheers Mike.
bozzzydmc Wrote:
Barson Wrote:well, i thought i adjusted mine well. I put the hand brake on fully and tried to push the thing - it creeks, but nothing happened. The car was fixed to the ground.

ho hum

Hi

How are you adjusting this ? At the 'split pin' nut (30) or on the cable length adjusting nut (22) at the retaining bracket ...if that makes sense ...

[Image: 6-2-1.gif]

I would say there is too much slack in the cable , prior to final adjustment on the split pin nut...

I adjusted mine using adjusting nut 22 until the pads just miss the disc.
Not had any probs with the MOT with this.

Cheers

Nick.
On my car the lever isn't particularly high when it bites, so it cant be cable adjustment. The pads have plenty of meat on them too. I was surprised how small the pads are though!
the handbrakes can be a nightmare to adjust, but trial and error is the name of the game. As for the Co claire, my mot station dont check as it isn't in the book so a visual is enough for them, plus i know them a bit TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
What was up with the ball joints, Claire?
Which ball joints are they Claire?
The top swivel, bottom swivel or the track rod end ?

Maybe you can get the play out by pumping some new grease in them via the bleed nipple.
(with the wheel off to unload the suspension)

I have heard that new ball joints from DMC Houston may have a different thread to the castellated nut and have had cases where the balljoint fell out.

I think it was "willimot" on the Irish Forum that raised this.

Good luck.

Nick.
Are the SpecialT ball joints the same as dmch or are their ones ok?
NickT Wrote:Which ball joints are they Claire?
The top swivel, bottom swivel or the track rod end ?

Maybe you can get the play out by pumping some new grease in them via the bleed nipple.
(with the wheel off to unload the suspension)

I have heard that new ball joints from DMC Houston may have a different thread to the castellated nut and have had cases where the balljoint fell out.

I think it was "willimot" on the Irish Forum that raised this.

Good luck.

Nick.

Interesting read...

http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t ... ght=joints

SpecialT's are not the same ones...
Hi all - sorry for late reply, didnt switch my PC on at home last night.

Found out the problem with the upper suspension ball joints - the MOT tester said that there are no split pins retaining the nuts on!

Now, in the 6 years I've owned the car, since bringing it in from the USA, I've never taken that part of the car apart, and its never failed the MOT there........... *much headscratching ensues*

Saw RichH last night who's given us some split pins, and Phill's gonna sort out that and the handbrake this afternoon, ready for re-test tomorrow.

Oh, and it is my angle drive thats f***ked again :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: luckily we have a spare......... (see how long that lasts.... :roll: :roll: :roll: )

Thanks for all the replies everyone, its really appreciated Mr Green Mr Green Mr Green