Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Drive DeLorean
Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of anybody who has a Delorean available for self hire. Looking at a week towards the end of this year (2008).

Thanks
A 'self drive' car company bought a DeLorean for hire up near Aberdeen I think it was.

This may be the company:-
http://www.wedding-connect.co.uk/galler ... hp?cat=122

Good luck!
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
That site has some very badly edited DeLorean pictures from Wikipedia! Big Grin
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
Money in the DMC fund: £412 aprox. - Target: £15,000
Where abouts in the UK are you?
Chris Hawes Wrote:A 'self drive' car company bought a DeLorean for hire up near Aberdeen I think it was.
Good luck!

I think this is the one you're thinking of Chris http://www.cccedinburgh.co.uk/

There was an article in a recent Delorean News of a club member that hired it for his wedding - don't have the copy to hand to see who.
It's the only way to 'self-drive hire' a Delorean, unless there are some brave owners out there. :?
DOC 116
VIN 6237
At the risk of hijacking the discussion, I am also looking for a Delorean for my wedding day on 10th October but only if it's self drive. I'm based in Leeds so Scottish rental won't work for me. Anyone any ideas?

I would be willing to do a swap for my 2006 260bhp Saab 9-5 Aero for a weekend but I suspect the insurance would be impossible. These DaysInsure companies reckon the Delorean is >insurance group 18 and won't touch it. Shame.

Matt
Cheers

Matthew Lobley
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a club member willing to rent their car out for the day at any price, plus I'm not sure how it would work on the owners insurance policy if the car was rented out on a self drive hire basis.

PhillW has done several weddings, photo shoots and promotional work with his car, including some work in your area. If you cant find a self drive hire car, drop me a PM and we'll see if we can sort something out for you.

Regards,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi

i did wonder what sort of money this would be?.

as i see it, it could be a way of funding vin 1621's leather seats!, although so far i have been the only driver,
apart from Chris N at PJGrady!
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi Steve S

Originally Darren from PJ Grady had offered to lend me his Pilot 20 for the day (I think he would have dropped it off as a static exhibition) and in return I was offering a week at my parent's holiday home in the Yorkshire Dales. Sadly his car has broken and is ulikely to be fixed by then.

I suspect the whole issue around putting people on each others insurance policies and exchanging cash would possibly invalidate the insurance...

Any suggestions? Appreciate this is your pride and joy as indeed mine will be when I get over the wedding and get in a position to buy one!
Cheers

Matthew Lobley
Hi Matthew

I was the secretary of the DOC for a while and I was asked the same question quite a few times

Unfortunatley I know of no owner who will be willing to #lend# out their car for self drive for any realistic cost.. the risk is just too great im afraid .

Im near Hull btw if your ever over this way .

Regards

Mike
Mad really isnt it? You can go out and hire a ferrari or a lamborgini for the day, and these cars are worth considerably more than a DeLorean, and more torque at the wheels making an accident far more likely.

I'm not voulenteering my car out for lend by saying this..... only because I can't afford another one.

But if money was no object, and it's covered by adequate insurance, then why not?
theres a clause with renting out those expensive cars, if you break em, you haveto pay out stupid money
DOC 527
Vin #10264
yep - usually £5,000 deposit, taken up front, then an excess of pretty much the same, or the whole £5K deposit is lost if you kerb the wheels etc.
Still - for some people this is probably a risk they can afford to take...!
You can "rent " rent mine for £13,500 and keep it after as a memento :wink:
DOC # 595
I'm surprised someone hasn't snatched that car at that price Allen. It's worth that in spare parts alone I would imagine.

Ebay is a joke when it comes to selling something different.

Don't lower the price any more than that though mate, there is a person out there for every car whatever the price tag.

Failing that maybe putting some of it back to standard and selling the parts off is the way to go, and make extra money by hiring it out!