Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel pump on it's way out?
Hi gang,

Well, another big night out with the D brings out yet another problem! :roll:

When I got home and had the car sitting stationary on the driveway, I noticed quite a loud humming sound coming from under the hood...

I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump and it sounded like it was working overtime! Shock

Does it sound like it is on it's way out?

Thanks

Kind regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
It could be your pick up hose off the bottom of the pump is collapsing due to rubber fatigue...

Take the pump out and take a look at the condition of the rubber if its soft / mushy then it could be cavitating when the pump is sucking .

Was the car getting low on fuel ?

I would get a new one in that case or you could try the spring inside the hose trick ...
Hi Mike,

Still had 1/2 tank (well according to the gauge, but we all know how accurate they are...) :roll:

Are these hose's easy to come by then?

Spring inside the hose trick hey? :?

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
As Mike Said Smile

NickT.
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=917

Part 69: Im sure Ed has it ...

http://www.delorean.com/store/c-274-2-1 ... oretc.aspx

or as I have on mine 3 years ...

[Image: fuel-baffle-kit-new-2.jpg]

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/ ... date%20kit
Do not touch John's 'improved' baffle kit. I modifed parts from my old baffle to get his to work better and the car still bunny hopped when low on fuel. As far as my experiences go it is a budget kit that doesn't to what it is supposed to do. I ended up replacing his kit with the OEM parts and since then the cars been perfect, even when the low fuel light comes on.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:Do not touch John's 'improved' baffle kit. I modifed parts from my old baffle to get his to work better and the car still bunny hopped when low on fuel. As far as my experiences go it is a budget kit that doesn't to what it is supposed to do. I ended up replacing his kit with the OEM parts and since then the cars been perfect, even when the low fuel light comes on.

Did you have problems fitting it or something Chris ?

I have oem parts on mine, both Mikes and mine were fine.

NickT
I fitted it as per the instructions, it simply didn't do what it is supposed to do when the fuel is super low.

His newer one has little holes around the base of the baffle:-
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/ ... w-kit1.jpg

I wonder if that cured the problem?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Arh... this old chestnut again... Wink

Johns 'earlier' kit had a pick up filter that had little or no filter ' packing' inside,Im not saying you fitted it wrong Chris but i have heard on these filters that if the pump was pushed down to far onto the base of the fuel tank it caused the filter to restrict the flow of fuel to the pump.

My later filter has a rigid plasic gauze inside to stop this, 3+ years it been great .. even round these darn hilly parts .

The position of the fuel baffle is only set back a bit from OEM, so unless you run your car around with 2 litles of fuel in it i cant see this being a factor.

Regards

Mike
Are you sure it's the fuel pump - and not the cooling fans?

If you think it's likely to be the pump - as Bozzy says, test the rubbers first - and look at possibly a new pickup line.

Not sure if your fans are on permanent bypass or not - but worth starting it up and taking a closer look before spending cash on any new parts...

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
My pick up hose has started to colapse in very, very hot weather and its only 4 years old.

Quote:Spring inside the hose trick hey?

Carefully wrap a length of welding wire around a suitable rod to form a neat coil along it's length. Push the rod all the way down the pick up hose. Release the wire inside the pick up hose and it will expand inside the hose and prevent it from collapsing again.
It's a very good solution and I'll be doing it to my 'new' pick up hose when I get the opportunity.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
About to order a new fuel pick up hose from Ed to tide me over... Smile

Are these quite easy to install even for a complete novice like me? :oops:

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
I had mine out last night. Its really easy to get out but you will get your hand covered in petrol if you try and do it with the tank half full of fuel :lol: Mines got a spring inside it and theres no way it will colapse with that in there.

To get it out you will have to climb into the lugage area!
VIN: 6511
Carl Hammond Wrote:About to order a new fuel pick up hose from Ed to tide me over... Smile

Are these quite easy to install even for a complete novice like me? :oops:

Best regards

Carl

If im honest is a bit of a fiddly crap job . Your working thorough a small hole trying to get the bits all back together and onto a tiddly stud at the bottom of the tank.

Dont wear latex gloves they will fall apart, once you delve into there you may find a few other bits need doing due to age , i would order a new fuel pick up filter too. Best off taking it out and taking a look at the bits in there to see what needs doing so you can get all the bits you need in one go.

Make a note of jhow trhings go in and out on a stock system just so you get it right on reinstall Wink

[Image: 2-1-0.gif]
hi

i jhave specialt auto,s kit and seems ok.

got to 8th tank and still ran.

although my pump has now died, and fitted the replacement tonight.

only problem i have is fitting the fuel line on the banjo bolt.

just seems a bit short, so when i tightened the hose clip, slipped of and split the rubber!.

i'll try some 7mm and 6mm hose instead for a tighter fit.

so my D is still off the road.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370