Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
She's steaming!
Well despite being on her best behaviour, it looks like the big weekend has finally taken it's toll on 11777! Sad

On the way home from Hunstanton she did appear to be steaming occassionally when we got up to a certain speed (guessing around 60-70 mark, as no speedo!) as soon as I took my foot off the throttle it would ease off, it was however, it was quite intermittent and dependant on a sudden pick up of speed!

Upon arriving home I checked the level of coolant, which appeared to be fine and I couldn't immediately find any other suspect areas! :?

She has some some minor over heating 'issues', Alistair pointed out when we arrived Sat morning that it was unusual for the fans to be on if we'd had a pretty straight forward journey! From memory, before the temp gauge gave up, the fans would come on just over the 220 mark, which does seem a tad high, could this be related?

Any advice appreciated thanks guys. Big Grin

Kind regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Hi Carl

Steaming and no coolant loss ?

Was the steaming from the exhaust tailpipes?

Could you have a water leak dripping down onto the exhaust?from a hose ?

Did you do anything on your engine involving WD or something that could have dribbled onto the exhaust manifolds?

You could do a coolant pressure test and see if its blowing out of anywhere...

Does seem your fans are coming on a little late
97c=207F and off at
91c=196F, + /- 5%

When was the rad fan switch ( otterstat ) last replaced or checked?
Hi Carl,

Have you ever had the thermostat out of the car?

Sometimes they partially seize open.

You can test them by boiling them in a small pan of water to see if it opens and closes smoothly.

Nick.
Carl

Are you sure it was steam and not smoke?

Take it out again and if you can get someone to follow you, see if they can see anything.

A
Another thought is fue dribbling out somewhere onto something hot.

Check for fuel leaks, especially around the control pressure regulator.

It might be worth getting the cooling system pressure tested.
Check that you have got the coolant bleed kit on.
You can tell as there is a separate pipe from the water pump that is routed to the cooling reservoir tank

Good luck,

NickT
Hi guys, it was good to see you all again @ Eurotec. Smile

Right, as far as I am aware it is not coming from the exhausts, it appears to be coming from underneath the engine cover. At first glance it looks like steam rather than smoke as it is a kind of white/grey mist, it actually happened a few times on the way back from Hunstanton and neither Alan or Chris who were driving behind me at the time seemed to spot it! Alex (who was sitting next to me) however, said it was coming out of the area of the engine cover directly behind me, you could also smell a burning smell every time it happened which seemed to ease off on decreasing our speed! Shock

Otterstat was replaced last year.

I'm with Mike/Nick in thinking there is a leak of oil/water somewhere that's dripping onto something hot! The question is, why would this only happen upon a sudden burst of acceleration? I do have a leak of transmission oil, wouldn't have thought the liquid would rush out onto anything hot judging by the position. However, it would explain why it only happens during acceleration (a sudden shift through the gears and all that!) Very confused to be honest! :?

How might I go about doing some of these pressure tests please and where might I locate the thermostat! Apologies for my inferior knowledge... :oops:

Thanks

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
Nick, did you say at Eurotec my CPR was on the wrong way round?

Might be a culprit?...

Cheers

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
Carl Hammond Wrote:Nick, did you say at Eurotec my CPR was on the wrong way round?

Might be a culprit?...

Cheers

Carl

Only if it is leaking fuel. I was advising it as the fuel pipes looked to be on the stretched side a bit. Use new copper washers and tighten to 11ft lbs I think.

Your local garage can pressure test the car for you. They connect a new pressure cap on the expansion tank (usually) and pressurise the cooling system with air to just above the working pressure of the original cap.
If you have any leaks, the water will start to spray out. I did the same thing to test and confirm my water pump was leaking from the seals.

The thermostat is located more or less in front of you but you would have to remove the W shaped part of the inlet manifold to see the top part of the thermostat housing. Once this is removed the thermostat is under here. It should only be about £10 to £15 for a new cap (or probably cheaper depending where you go)

Good luck,

NickT
#if# you need a new thermostat I have a new OEM one .
Ok that's great thanks guys. Big Grin

Sounds to me like a nice little project to be going on with!

I'll report back here as soon as I get to the bottom of this little pickle! Tongue

Thanks again for your help, it really is appreciated. Smile

Kind regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
You take the engine cover off, go out for a drive with a passenger who lean through the back, and gawk through the rear window to at least pinpoint something.

If you see it, pull over asap and you should be able to see signs of something somewhere, my concern is that it isnt water.

A
Smells of burning and does it more when going fast, coming from nearside rear area.... Could the brake caliper be binding slightly?
You might be onto something there matey, I have had some sqeaky brakes recently and that's exactly what happened with my front brakes last year...Hmmm... :?

By the way, good to meet you at the weekend Dan, always nice to put a face to a name and all that! :wink:

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
Cheers Carl. I remember speaking to you on saturday night, and to alex too but can't remember what about. I also felt rough on sunday morning :lol:
lol! I know what you mean mate, I seem to remember suddenly dashing off to go have a drool over a black Lotus Esprit, trouble was it were also pitch black outside! :lol:

In my hastiness I think I left poor Alex behind! :oops:

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk