Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
She's steaming!
Eh up!

I would check the rubber pipe as it goes from the pump over the top of the AC belt and again under it... has it or is it rubbing on the edge of the belt when it gets warm ?

There cuould be a slight cut that opens up when it gets warm and the coolant dribbling down the hose..

There should be a P clip on the hose holding it off the belt at the top near to the water pump ...is this in place?

The metal hose that connects to the rubber one is probably a long way inside this ...add another jubilee clip further up the hose ... did that on mine ...
Hi Mike,

Checked hoses, all the clips are nice and tight and well away from any belts. Smile

There is moisture around the bottom of the pipe towards the otterstat, not a lot but evident. As you say, when the car's pushed a bit, might get the occasional droplet fly out straight onto the exhaust! Shock

The question is, how might I go about fixing this little problem? :?

The good news is it didn't cause me any problems last night on the trip to Norwich and back, which was a huge relief! Smile

Now onto the latest 'issue' but that's for another part of the forum... :roll:

Kind regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
I notice my pipe gets a little damp somtimes in that same place. Never had to top up the coolent though. I was going to put a new hose on it somtime in the future.
VIN: 6511
Hi Dan, Smile

Yeah, same thing here mate. The coolant level is fine and hardly ever requires a top up.

It's amazing how much of a reaction it causes from the outside though, when even the tiniest little drop hits that exhaust! Shock

Could be a lot worse I guess... Smile

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
Carl Hammond Wrote:Hi Mike,

Checked hoses, all the clips are nice and tight and well away from any belts. Smile

There is moisture around the bottom of the pipe towards the otterstat, not a lot but evident. As you say, when the car's pushed a bit, might get the occasional droplet fly out straight onto the exhaust! Shock

The question is, how might I go about fixing this little problem? :?

The good news is it didn't cause me any problems last night on the trip to Norwich and back, which was a huge relief! Smile

Now onto the latest 'issue' but that's for another part of the forum... :roll:

Kind regards

Carl

How old is the otterstat and seal ? Could it be leaving from here?

Mike
Mine doesn't drip yet, just gets a bit damp round the join. When mine starts to drip I will fit a new hose. I belive you can get them in silicon instead of rubber....
Hi Mike,

Otterstat was only fitted last year, not sure about the seal though...

Kind regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
Seal/bung was new as well Carl.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Ok thought so, thanks Darren.

So by process of elimination it must be the aluminium pipe, I guess!

I hear that they can corrode from the inside/out, is that maybe what's happening here, I also hear these pipes aren't particularly easy to replace either... Sad

Will keep an eye on it and see how long she lasts out for...

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
It might not be the pipe, it might be the rubber hose starting to perish at the end where it joins the aluminium pipe? The pipe looks easy to change to me. Its the one in the valley of death thats suposed to be hard to do I think.
VIN: 6511