Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volvo Venturi Wanted/Needed
Anyone who heard my car at Eurotec will know that it was running like a bag of bolts. Nick T identified the problem as a wrong match between the Volvo metering head and the DeLorean venturi.

I need a Volvo venturi to get my car running properly again, does anyone have one, or know of one that I could purchase? I have a day of work on Wednesday so it might be a case of trailing the scrap yards.

Also if anyone knows the exact year/model of Volvo which shares the DMC K-Jet set-up that would be really useful.

Ta in advance

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Seems to be a common theme. I changed my venturi over at the weekend, and I think Claire's flopsy also needs it changing...? I got mine from Chris Williams.
Volvo 760 or 260 (circa 1980's I think mine was an old B reg)

Probably others, but I got mine off the 760
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Darren Bowker did James' "stage 1" some time ago and the engine wasn't running properly before that. The "wrong" intake venturi causes cold start and warmup issues on *some* engines, but the primary fuel curve can be tuned on the primary regulator. The Volvo B28E and Renault B29's also have the same intake venturi, but then again so do the Renault 2.6's from which James' metering head and dizzy came. If your engine is running badly, don't expect the larger intake Venturi to be a magic cure.

Remember the cams and pistons are also different in the B28F vs B28E so it's all a bit hit and miss.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:Darren Bowker did James' "stage 1" some time ago and the engine wasn't running properly before that. The "wrong" intake venturi causes cold start and warmup issues on *some* engines, but the primary fuel curve can be tuned on the primary regulator. The Volvo B28E and Renault B29's also have the same intake venturi, but then again so do the Renault 2.6's from which James' metering head and dizzy came. If your engine is running badly, don't expect the larger intake Venturi to be a magic cure.

Remember the cams and pistons are also different in the B28F vs B28E so it's all a bit hit and miss.

.......or correct matching parts should have been on it in the first place.

stunned_monkey Wrote:The "wrong" intake venturi causes cold start and warmup issues on *some* engines, but the primary fuel curve can be tuned on the primary regulator.
......it would be easier to install known matchiing ones, or at the very least actually do a fuel pressure check and adjust the primary regulator to within book specification.

The (matching) volvo Ventury, fuel distributor, spark distributor, CPR(although the DeLorean one will be fine) and bypassing the Thermo-Vac switch will provide a slight upgrade in power.

When John and I examined the B28E and B28F engines next to each other when fully stripped down, the main difference we found between them was the extrusion of the piston into the cylinder head that would cause a lower compression on the B28F engine. The cam profiles (in this instance) were exactly the same as I used a dial gauge and timing disk on the cam.

If James' car is such a 'mish mash of parts' that at best is 'hit and miss' then maybe the most cost-effective solution for him would be to re-install the original DeLorean known working parts, check for correct correct pressures, cpr operation and fuel injector spray pattern.

James, if you posted your injectors to me I would test them to you FOC if you included return packing/ post.

NickT
stunned_monkey Wrote:Darren Bowker did James' "stage 1" ...... don't expect the larger intake Venturi to be a magic cure.

It was an interesting one, because my car had been set to run very rich probably to cover up an underlying problem.

Nick T fiddled around and managed to iron out the idle but was quick to point out the missmatch in components, it has fueling problems at both extreems of the rev range.

The original problem I had before Darren touched it was a faulty CPR which coinsided with a burst water pipe, this completley through me.

Darren didn't change the venturi, i think he just wanted rid of it.

I may try and gather together all my original DMC components and go back to the OEM set-up, so long as that will work with the CPR I have (I think it's Volvo).

I never really wanted more power, i just wanted a reliable engine, so far I've ended up with neither!

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
If you want to swap back to standard, i'll swap you my cpr for yours if its a volvo one as mine is delorean and I have all the other volvo bits fitted and working.
I have a venturi waiting to go on my car (when I get around to it) as that
was the problem identified with my car by NickT at Eurotec last year.

That will sort out the p1ss poor running and fuel consumption on my car,
which hasnt been right since the "stage 1" was done over 2 years ago....... :roll:

The fact that my car runs so badly, was a factor in me not putting it on the
road to bring to Eurotec - if it had have been running properly, then I would
probably have suffered the pain I would have been in to drive the car to Norfolk
(and also show off the fantastic work done by PJ Grady on the car Big Grin )

Hope you get your car sorted ok James, it was great to see you, meet your young
lady and see KUC again this year Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Maybe someone should start a "Are you happy with your stage one ?" poll
bozzzydmc Wrote:Maybe someone should start a "Are you happy with your stage one ?" poll

hahahahhahahah!!!!! PMSL!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yes but seriously in the pursuit of extra power why do i never hear of good things about this 'stage 1'?

Each to their own at the end of the day but im very happy with my stock fuel /air stuff and freeflow SS Exhaust. Something i #will# get dyn'd soon.
I've got no problems with my setup. It seemed ok before but I think its slightly better with the new venturi on and tweaked by NickT Big Grin
..there you go then ...thats one yes vote already !

Pleased yours is running very well now buddy.

Just need that SS Cat bypass on now eh Wink
Yup that will be fitted in a week or two. Also thanks for you advice on stripping off that wrecked paint on my pontoons, they've come up a treat. Pics will be posted on Darren's before and after thread in a minute.
Good stuff bud ...thats what the club is all about ... at the end of the day someone has been there and done it before, 4 years ago i knew nothing about D's... now I know ... well ...a bit more Smile lol

Great to see a good car in good hands !