Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filling the gaps!
Right, weather permitting I'm gonna try and tackle this job tonight! Big Grin

I'm just going to go for it on the inside and plug up any holes I can!

That should stop the water from dripping in at least. However, I then might have the problem of a build up in the fibre glass roof then and that could be bad in the long run! :oops:

So, where should I be aiming the gun on the exterior exactly? It looks to me like the suspect areas are in the area underneath the torsion bar and the rubber seals that run along either side of the T-bar, as these seem to be very weak!

Naturally, I am bit reluctant to point my gun anywhere near the area where the torsion bars are, or am I being slightly over cautious? :roll:

Kind regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Hi Carl,

Once you've done inside the car, the factory used to seal around the black plastic trims that sit in the gutter of the door aperture. They even put blobs on the rivot heads or screws used to secure these trims.

The problem you face is water getting in under the Stainless T bar roof panel, and either sitting in there or finding it's way into the car.
Unless you take off the stainless trim, (3 tabs at the rear and screws under the outer door seal) you cannot stop this.

Also as the frame section under the T is mild steel its prone to corrosion, and from coming away. (you can sometimes hear it creak when opening the doors when its loose)

So you again have two options,

1. Take off the T panel and open a can of worms Big Grin , re-paint/secure and seal.

2. Do the best you can inside the car, seal all you can externally in the gutters, and leave an "exit" for any water to escape from under the T into the gutter around the rear end of the torsion bar. Another "trick" when the T panel is off is to make drain holes from under the T to above the rear window, this will let water out but not in. 8)

The other issue you should consider is changing All the door seals, including the rivoted seal that runs front to back on the top of the door. Make sure when you fit the outer seals that you get good closing gaps where they meet this seal. This will stop as much ingress as possible in the first place.

One last tip is to put the Tiger seal in warm water about 1/2 hour before you use it, this will make it a little runnier. You can then put a short length of vacuum hose over the nozzle, and bend it into reach those awkward areas, that you can't get to normally.

Oh yeah, and get some acetone, it's about the only thing that'll get it off your hands :lol:

Otherwise you'll be doing Al Johnson impressions at Eurotec :lol: :lol:

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
lol! Despite wearing gloves I still somehow managed to get the stuff on me hands! :lol:

Some more top tips there thanks Darren. Big Grin

Well I think I've found the source of the problem, the gutter area you mentioned right underneath the torsion bar, had become so weak you could simply press it with your finger and it would buckle! Shock

When doing this you can see how damp it was under there, so I've done my best to seal this area up on the inside and outside! 8)

Funnily enough, it looks like this has been a recurring problem as when checking the other door, someone had already been to town on it!

Finally, as I started to lose daylight I got the car back into the garage and decided to do a bit more work on the inside...

Needless to say I soon realised why they recommend you only use the stuff in well ventilated areas! Tongue

Will check later to see how if it has set nicely.

Thanks again for your help guys, especially Darren. Big Grin

Kind regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk