Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Strut Repressurising
Folks,

In the search for some obscure gas struts for another car I've come across a place in Derby which re-gasses existing struts for £25. Could be a decent cost-saving exercise over replacement ones.

I'll let you know what the quality of the finished job is in a few days - but apparently if the strut isn't weeping oil and the pistons aren't worn it can be rescued 99% of the time.

Anyway, SGS engineering, 01332 298126.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com

They also claim to supply a whole range of shapes and sizes with a range of end fittings etc etc.

Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
So they could re-gas the original Stabilus struts? Cool! Big Grin Let us know how you get on Rich.

Cheers,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Sorry Rich, been there tried that.

I took the DeLorean to them and had a door strut re-gassed. They repressurised it to the correct rating plus a bit and it was still saggy when I refitted it.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
oh, cockfosters.

Perhaps a Maxi boot-lid isn't as heavy as a Delorean door, but maybe it'd still be an option for DMC bonnets and boots and so on...

Shame it didn't work on the doors though.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Results are in: Kept overnight to check for gas leakage. Results were unspectacular, so I've been given them back at no charge to me. In practice they sort of hold the boot lid static but can't actually lift it up by themselves. Will see how long this lasts.

But at least they tried, tested them, and concluded that they were shot and didn't charge for finding that out.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Oh boomboxes Sad (in the words of my other half)

Ah well, at least we know for sure, and at least you didn't get charged for them mate!
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo