Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clarification of engine please
Nick if you have the pin-out for the ECU that'd be great, can't find that anywhere.

Ther eused to be a product from a company called Milford Mocrosystems called the "K-Star" which was a valve placed int eh control pressure line and allowed you to map the fuelling based on fooling with the control pressure on a K-Jet system.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
So does any one know (Martin) what the power difference is (bhp) if you used a Volvo block and delorean everything else. Or if someone whent down this route would it be better to leave the Volvo Heads on rather than swap over to the delorean heads on a Volvo block?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Our stage 1 turns the DeLorean engine into a Volvo engine with the exception of changing out the pistons. You gain noticably in torque. The Volvo engine is the same but slightly higher compression so you'd gain a little more. However the higher compression allows you to benefit much more from high lift cams.

It's isn't worth the effort IMO to drop a B28E into a DeLorean just for the sake of it. You may as well go the extra mile and drop in a Safrane 3 litre engine and gain loads more torque - although this is EFI and you'll need an ECU.

I am on the home stretch installing a Saf engine into an Alpine GTA - going back in early next week.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
I thought it was the Distributor in the Stage 1 that did most of the work? (thats what I've been told by various sources, anyway).

If its a power increase you want, get rid of the catalyst if its still fitted and change the dizzy for a Volvo one.

Is your engine knackered? When I needed new cylinder heads (1st time because water jacket got drilled through trying to extract broken manifold studs, 2nd time cos engine boiled over big time and buggered the head gaskets), I had 2 fully refurbished ones courtesy of Darren Bowker in Manchester (Renault 30 expert and restorer) for just £60 each - bargain!

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks All, no the engine is not dead yet, despite severel red line attempts Shock I got rid of the cat last year, but I driven a couple of other D's that have had the stage 1 upgrade done and was very suprised at how much difference in power that there seemed to be between my car and the upgraded ones. I am really batting around for ideas on the best (and cheapest :oopsSmile way to get this power upgrade but retain origionallity in the engine bay.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
The biggest jump in peoformance is the distributor but the stage 1 we do also involves swapping out the intake venturi and fitting the "proper" metering head that has no frequency valve port. The lack of frequency valve and the colour of the sticker on the metering head are the only visible differences. There's a little more jiggery pokery that we found after a lot of trial and error but that's our little secret (sorry). The lion's share of the cost from us is that of a refurbed metering head which accounts for over half of the price.

The Stage II engine is a totally different animal and at the moment, Stu's is the only one on the road although we have another in pieces after Dan blew it up on the Nurburgring (and it was something that could have just as easily happenned to a regular D engine!).

Just as an example of the difference, at 125hp at the wheels on Stu's, the ignition timing is set up at 6 degrees at idle.

I'm very keen to do an EFI Stage II because it looked so promising, but that does look different from the top.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Thanks Martin. So what is the Dizzy from then that is on a D engine? and why does using a Volvo one make that much difference? is it just down to ignition timing? I know Claire mentioned this but I did not think a dizzy on it's own but be so important.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Chris,

I know this doesnt sound very technical, but the DeLorean dizzy (not sure if its 'unique' or not), creates a sort of 'dip' in the power as you go up the rev range, where as the Volvo one gives a smoother one.

I know I'm probably using completely the wrong terms here and someone is bound to jump in and correct me with all but in kinda techno speak, but in 'laymans' terms, thats it.

From what I remember being told, the DeLorean dizzy was made like that because of the emmission controls and catalytic converter fitted on the DeLorean, which the European engines didnt need.

If you can find an old Volvo 262/264 or early 760 in a scrapyard, that will have the dizzy you want. Try that, a dizzy will be cheap from a scrapyard - there is a big Volvo breakers just up the A1 near Biggleswade, but I'm not sure how much old stuff they've got there now. The only thing you might have to do to a scrapyard dizzy is carefully take it apart and clean it up.

Hope this helps,

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
stunned_monkey Wrote:The Stage II engine is a totally different animal and at the moment, Stu's is the only one on the road although we have another in pieces after Dan blew it up on the Nurburgring (and it was something that could have just as easily happenned to a regular D engine!).

For the record My D Was going like the clappers around The Ring. I managed to overtake a few cars sideways and the two carousels in a D were fantastic.

The crowed were cheering us on to. Managed to 4 wheel drift it a few times as well.

Then all the oil decided to stay in the top of the engine due to a few very hard and fast corners and I managed to spin two main shells and that could of happened to a normal D engine. It happened to an Audi RS a few days after me.
Yes Dan,and I will never forget that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Surely you had a camcorder or still camera capture some of this for prosperity?

That track although I have never seen it in person doesn't seem to offer much run out space if you make a mistake....
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Well I recorded the lap on my mobile phone but the phone got stolen about 4 months ago.
The only person I know with a picture is Ed Uding.He had taken a photo of us when we entered the track in the D. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Martyn I still have the video but I must point out that

A: It's not the fastest lap as...
B: It was in the hire car after I blow the D Up. A Golf City 1.4.

Now technically we weren't supposed to take that car onto the track, something to do with it not being allowed in the terms of the hire agreement, but we were so p*ssed off that we decided what the hell.

Oh and chris there is NO run off as it's not a track. It's a public toll road with no speed limits.
I did mean no run out space but I had forgotten that it is a public road.

I saw the Top Gear where the Yorkshire warbler was being a bit pants at taking a twin-turbo diesel Jaguar S type around the 'road' and could not beat the lady that had grown up in Nürburg which the road surrounds.

If I remember correctly her best time in the Ford Transit still beat his time in the Jag :lol:
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:If I remember correctly her best time in the Ford Transit still beat his time in the Jag :lol:

No. He did it in 9:59, she couldn't beat 10 minutes in the van. 10:25 I think, but can't remember
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars