Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side skirts
How does one go about removing the screws which fasten the side skirts.
The rusty screws are impossible to loosen since they seem to - over time - have welded themselves to the body rivnuts (aluminium?)

I guess the procedure would be to drill them out, but then again, how do you install new rivnuts in the body? Do I need a special tool?
Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN
# 02017
# 02136
# 03692
# 03980
# 05414
# 06201
# 06759
# 06833
# 06975
# 07067
# 16647
dmcnorway Wrote:How does one go about removing the screws which fasten the side skirts.
The rusty screws are impossible to loosen since they seem to - over time - have welded themselves to the body rivnuts (aluminium?)

I guess the procedure would be to drill them out, but then again, how do you install new rivnuts in the body? Do I need a special tool?

Hey Stian,

Have you tried lifting the whole car up using car lift to human height level and try unscrewing then? You will get much better leverage from your hands....

Coz I tried doing it with a short length screw driver when the car is on ground level... it's more or less impossible for one or two odd screws to come off. Others came out ok though~
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Hi John

Check out the date on his posting , I would have hoped he would have done it by now Smile Smile

If anyone has a screw head that gets 'messed up', i use a dremel with a wideish cutting disc on to 'carefullly' cut a slot in it ...I then use a flat headed screwdriver to get it out.
YEP

That's how i did mine, bozzzy. I weakened the rim of the nut with my black and decker wizard tool and removed it fully with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. I then used a punch to push the nuts into the body and re-riveted the holes.

I did all this at ground level. It's not too bad once you're comfortable on your floor, it's just when one of the blades breaks and you have to re-fit a new one that it's a pain.

I'm just waiting to put my rocker panels back and I should be rocking!

Just as a side note: at the top side of the panel at each end there are nuts which attach the rocker panel to a bracket and the fender to the bracket. has anyone elses holes on their rocker panels split/cracked? all four of mine have Sad
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193