Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hard to start when hot
Hi all i don't know if anyone can help but my delorean has just started playing up when i start her from cold she fires up first time every time.when she has been running for a while and i turn her off and go to restart her see just wont start at all its as if she is flooded ,i leave her for 10 or 20 mins try again and she fires up first time.ANY SUGGESTIONS
PLEASE HELP

cheers Tyson
Sounds to me like the accumulator is going.
VIN: 6511
Standard hot start diagnostics first

When the engine is nice and hot, turn off ignition and remove air filter box.

Gently press the metering flap down...any resistance? If not then your problem is either the fuel accumalator, primary pressure regulator, or check valve in the fuel pump.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
As Dan said this is usually a classic sign of the accumulator needing replacing (but confirmed with a fuel pressure test).

When you turn the ignition key to position 2, does the fuel pump run for 2 to 3 seconds to prime the fuel pressure?

NickT
Hi guys thanks for the tips but what the hell is a accumilator???still quite new at this fixing thing im so used to just driving a car i dont think i have had to checked oil and water for about 10 years ,i thought that was something thay do when you have a car serviced and if you hear a load noise under the bonnet you just turn up the radio until you cant hear it any more,we brought a honda frv about 8 months ago and i still dont know what the engine bay looks like,but by the looks of things i think im going have to learn fast maybe thats a course that pj gradys could do a course for thick beginners i will be the first one to sighn up for it.anyway many thanks for the advice and i will try these suggestions prob later in the week
cheers all from the very fick delorean owner Tyson
Hi Hana,

Yep either Accumulator or check valve. I had the same problem last week,

Spent a fortune on an accumulator last August did 50 miles on it and had the same problem again.

So bought a second accumulator and the problem was still there! Cry

Ended up as a check valve problem. Shock

The accumulator is located under the car in a cubby hole in the chassis just in front of the gear box.

The check valve is on the pump located under the spare wheel in the top of the fuel tank.

If you need an accumulator I have one that's only 50 miles old and fine. Big Grin

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
NickT Wrote:As Dan said this is usually a classic sign of the accumulator needing replacing (but confirmed with a fuel pressure test).

When you turn the ignition key to position 2, does the fuel pump run for 2 to 3 seconds to prime the fuel pressure?

NickT

Some handsome man did a fuel pressure testing guide in the club mag a few issues ago :wink:

NickT
Handsome! thats the understatement of the year, he's gorgeous! OOer
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Eh hands off ...hes mine!!! lol