Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Central Locking - nearly but not quite!
Well, almost there, but seem to have come unstuck near the end.

I have rewound both my door solenoids, which operate fine on the bench and really push/ pull in the actuating end with some considerable force. The lock module has also been upgraded in accordance with the scriptures, and is tested and fully working, and I’m poised on the precipice of fully functioning central locking.

Last couple of things: The driver’s door controls the passenger side door, but the passenger’s side door does not operate he driver’s side. Is this normal? Somehow I doubt it . Bridging the copper contacts on the passenger’s side door does have some effect on the system but not enough to throw the bolts.

Similarly, the lock button is thrown fully rearwards when ‘locking’ the door but is not thrown completely forwards when unlocking – although it does have the effect of unlocking the door, just doesn’t move the button fully.

Also, when the passenger’s side door is ‘locked’, (either by the central locking or by activating the button or lock manually) the door can still be opened as far as the safety catch position, (but will thankfully does not open completely). I guess this is a striker pin adjustment issue.

I think the next steps are as follows:

1. Adjust striker pins so the passenger door behaves itself properly.
2. Lube all the linkages and pivots in the system to see if it frees things up sufficiently to allow the lock to throw properly.

Does anyone have any further thoughts or any more ‘mending’ I could carry out?

Cheers all,
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Someone must have been here before, surely?!!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Hi Rich

There is a procedure on ajusting this in the manual I have ..

If you dont have a copy in yours drop me a line and i will get a pdf of it over to you.

That way you can work your way through it matey... it appears to me its a door link / cable adjuster issue.
Really, is there? Will give it a look. Funny - for some reason it didn't even occur to me to try the manual!

Cheers chap!

Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Really, is there? Will give it a look. Funny - for some reason it didn't even occur to me to try the manual!

Cheers chap!

Rich

LOL .. actually its funny what you find in there... trying to find it and in the right section is normally the problem for me Smile ...

Its under something like Frame and body ...door latch setting procedure from memory ...
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Does anyone have any further thoughts or any more ‘mending’ I could carry out?
yeah, Flopsy's door solenoids are fubar, when can you come round? :lol:

Seriously tho, good work you've done there mate Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Cheers all, will keep you posted with progress!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
i would guess that the drivers does control both, but the passenger one side only.

i think this was normal on plenty of cars years ago.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Well, the latest is that following literally a full day at it on Sunday, I'm no further forward. Grrrrr.

Followed that section in the book, it does seem to help, but it'll work 19 times out of twenty and then jam for no apparent reason...

Count to ten, have a brew, try again...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
steve.s Wrote:i would guess that the drivers does control both, but the passenger one side only.

i think this was normal on plenty of cars years ago.

My car works on both sides to lock/ unlock both doors.
The key should operate a slider contact type of switching mechanism. It acts like a "toggle switch" and the action of the door solenoid moves the slide on the other side of the car.

Maybe the slider in your car is missing or requires cleaning like mine did in my car.

Rich, check that the central locking operating bar itself is central with the central locking solenoid in rest position.
Mark the position they are in with pencil so at least you can go back.

Move the solenoid operated bar fully out and measure between the end of rod and the solenoid.

Move the solenoid operated bar fully in and measure between the end of rod and the solenoid.

The rest position when connected with the linkage is mid way between the two. You adjust by moving the cage nuts on the solenoid.

Hope this helps.

NickT
Thanks Dr. Nick, will give it a go!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126