Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo
steve.s Wrote:hi

i have not yet fitted my BAE, but can you actually tell its condition without fitting/testing?

best thing is to check the shaft any play top to bottom is a potential oil leak, but slight play in and out is ok to a degree. i have been looking for turbos to fit on the flange on my car, i think i may have found a couple that will fit with a few mods so im not giving up tt
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
quick update i have had my unit rebuilt total cost £350 Cry no vat thats bearings seals and compressor blades and balanced i know i may have to sell a kidney but at least we know it can be done TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Thats great tony !

( Just as a daft point has your wastegate been checked at all? )

Bet you cant wait to get that refitted !
yeah i had i checked a few years back, oh sorry mate the one on the car you mean :lol: the wastegate is external and was ok before, the only bind is i have to take the car apart again because i honestly didn't think anyone could do the rebuild and i have put the volvo dizzy in Big Grin TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Why can't the volvo dizzy stay in with the turbo?
VIN: 6511
Dan1986 Wrote:Why can't the volvo dizzy stay in with the turbo?

The advance curve is too aggressive for the turbo when it is on boost.

NickT
NickT Wrote:
Dan1986 Wrote:Why can't the volvo dizzy stay in with the turbo?

The advance curve is too aggressive for the turbo when it is on boost.

NickT

plus i dont want to alter another dizzy, and i didnt know about the advance nick , but i knew there was a difference TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
picked up turbo today and they had done a complete rebuild including cleaning the housing by blasting it,and it looked brand new with a warranty for a year. i also had the cheek to ask for a tour of the factory, i was shown the rebuild process, which includes a turbo spun to 200,000 rpm for balancing all in all a very interesting experience.
He told me they used to rebuild the unit i had around 20 yrs ago but mine was the first he had seen for a long time, they have the parts on the shelf but may have only enough for one more rebuild.
all in all im very happy (£350 lighter Cry ) at least i can finally get it to run the way it should TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
" All Hail the mighty Turbo" !!!

Good stuff buddy, looking forward to seeing the old girl again soon
TT- where did you get the rebuild done?
SCEDT26T9BD005902
hi john, it was essex turbo's 01376 503350 i must say at this point that this set up of mine is only experimental and may not work as i want, im now running a volvo set up so it may work better in my car as well, in short i dont want anyone to waste their money TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
that's great news on the turbo rebuild tony.

It'd be interesting to see what difference it makes Big Grin

NickT
funny thing is they found a piece of solid plastic in the compressor housing and they cant understand why it didnt damage the turbo TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
well after 3 weeks of swapping the bits around all the bits and pieces on my car, stress sleepless nights low mojo :lol: its the turbo letting oil in through the exhaust manifold Shock baring in mind it was rebuilt.

So im off down there this week to give them a piece of my mind and blame it on tourettes :lol: so look out essex turbo im on my way

a very relieved TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:well after 3 weeks of swapping the bits around all the bits and pieces on my car, stress sleepless nights low mojo :lol: its the turbo letting oil in through the exhaust manifold Shock baring in mind it was rebuilt.

So im off down there this week to give them a piece of my mind and blame it on tourettes :lol: so look out essex turbo im on my way

a very relieved TT

Strange, I replaced a turbo on a mates Audi A4 (diesel) about a month ago, had to do it again two weeks later when that failed down to a poor rebuild, been ok since though. Hopefully they will do yours properly this time!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584