Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo
i know chris, you would think they would run it up with oil going through it just to make sure. The trouble is is was probably done by someone with not much experience like a kid :? TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
...and balanced using a cordless drill to spin it up ! :lol:

Give them hell Tony !

NickT
Well as you may know over the last couple of years I've had my fair share of fun with rebuilding turbos for my car. I now have enough scrap turbo parts to do something interesting with, just haven't figured out what yet.

Some of the tips I picked up in my attempts to not spend £350+ on turbos...

I was strongly recommended by several sources not to buy a refurbished turbo. I was told to only buy new or second hand turbos. Now this may be fairly specific to my turbos, which were made by IHI, but the reason was the original bearings were ceramic type, and IHI refused to sell the bearings separately so all refurbishers were forced to get bearings manufactured from standard materials and would not last long.

Maybe with it being aerospace intended, your BAE turbos have something more exotic in their bearings or seals etc. than your refurbishers are using?

Interestingly enough one of the turbos I bought (before I heard this advice) had done less than 400 miles since a £400 rebuild. Several months later it was leaking oil badly.

If you can acquire the necessary replacement bearings/seals you can refurbish a turbo yourself. The critical bit is the wheel balancing, where you have 2 options, a) mark the blade wheel positions up before you dissasemble then make sure you reassemble in line again. b) a turbo refurbishing place should balance your blade wheels for £30 ish.

Obviously a) won't work if you've had stuff battering and denting your blades, but in normal use it should not have gone out of balance.

At least in my case if/when I knacker some turbo internals I can buy some second hand ones, unless I've been going through a bad spell and exhausted the UK ebay supply!
Rich J
:lol: well mine was leaking as soon as it was on the car, i would prefer my money back as i think i may have found one to go straight on the flange. i still cant believe it turned out to be the turbo im down there next week to have a moan TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
well i popped down today to drop turbo off and ended up beating the manager up :lol: not really ha ha he phoned me an hour later and offered full refund and the turbo back, a satisfactory ending to the problems i'v had over the last couple of months.

My car is up and running now and back to standard, and i will be fitting a new turbo on over the winter. Im not sure which type but i have a few ideas on some that should fit, even ones with internal wastegates..
So im off to get a tattoo of DMC on my forehead in celebration :lol:
luv TT :wink:
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Pleased that is resolved Tony.. live and learn eh ...

Is it June yet???
Tourettes Tony Wrote:well i popped down today to drop turbo off and ended up beating the manager up :lol: not really ha ha he phoned me an hour later and offered full refund and the turbo back, a satisfactory ending to the problems i'v had over the last couple of months.

My car is up and running now and back to standard, and i will be fitting a new turbo on over the winter. Im not sure which type but i have a few ideas on some that should fit, even ones with internal wastegates..
So im off to get a tattoo of DMC on my forehead in celebration :lol:
luv TT :wink:

Result!! at least you got a full refund, dosent make up for the wasted time but it's a good start
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584