Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grey vinyl
Hi, would anyone know if and where the grey vinyl on the interior can be found, Im in two minds as to weather to back to original interior or not,
it all depends on whats available,
Regards Allen
DOC # 595
hi

try PJGradys for a recolour spray, it should look stock which will save a lot of money.

i think you can still buy the knee pads etc. if you want that route (i thought they were leather though).

i assume your re-colour is sprayed on?. will it definately not come off with cleaning chemicals? (without damaging the vinyl/leather)
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
If only Steve :? The whole of the original covering has been removed and replaced with vinyl that has a carbon fibre effect grain,
where as the original vinyl has a leather grain, so just spraying a colour is not an option,
I dont blame the previuos owner for covering the interior,
If blame lies anywhere it would be the owner before last that had it all changed to GREEN :oops: you can see the grain in this pic
[Image: int2.jpg]
DOC # 595
can anyone tell me which is the nearest match to the original colour please Smile
[Image: leasthercolours.jpg]
DOC # 595
Stone or smoke look the closest to mine Allen, but I do have an 83' car with a lighter grey than earlier vin's I believe. Though this may refer only to the carpets.... door panels etc seem to be listed as early grey and late grey, but i dont really know how much difference there is colourwise.

And if you are going for grey, there are some panels not available, where as with black I think everything is still available. Again, not sure.

Ben
Thanks for that Ben, I wasnt sure, without a car to look at,
I dont think I will need any panels, the WHOLE of the interior,bar the roof lining, has been changed
so ALL leather and vinyl would need replacing,or at least covering over. and Im not after an exact match, just a similar shade :wink: ,
DOC # 595
And just to let you know I was thinking of going for the Mist grey, bottom right,
I think its the closest to the facia panels, mine is darker than original
DOC # 595
It's hard to tell from a pic like that, its best to get a piece of materiel of each colour and put them alongside to match. But the last one looks good, yes!
Hi Allen,

I've just re trimmed my whole car including the side panels over the rear speakers. I had to make a tip for my soldering iron to do all the speaker holes, 3 hours a side!
The knee pads, Door arm rests and rear Arm rests have a crease textured ICI vinyl, this is no longer available. Most places are out of new RH knee pads in Grey, but DMCH has re coloured black ones. Door panels are all available new old stock, again at DMCH. Dash tops in grey are available at Delorean One, although they're expensive. DMCH are having a new batch made in Autumn this year if you can wait, and they'll be cheaper.
I looked at 20 different colour charts.
The best vinyl match for colour (It's spot on) is a "transport vinyl" Be aware that you need to match the grain pattern too. The transport vinyl is spot on here too. Give me a call/email and I'll let you know where to get it. (It was made to match the original ICI vinyl!!!)
Try and avoid the paint/vinyl sprays, they all vary in shade. You also need to remember that any original vinyl may have faded due to 27 years of UV rays. The paints are usually lighter to cope with this. When you add new vinyl it'll look darker! And you'll end up with lots of shades of grey in the car.

Next time your visiting Southampton, pop in and see me I'll talk you through it all.

Best regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
OK Darren , thanks I will do. and yes it can wait till autum. Might be down next weekend if you are free, Ill call you in the week,
Regards Allen
DOC # 595
Darren, is it possible to make your vinyl supplier known to eveybody please?

I think it would benefit all in the club Smile
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
The Vinyl was sourced by Richmond and James, Car and Commercial Upholsterers. Tel 02392 262899. There in Waterlooville near Portsmouth.

My old dash was sunburnt, cracked and a real mess.

[Image: 100_0303.jpg]

After new dash, glove box door and re-trim of knee pads, centre console etc, etc. Flash on camera effecting colour it is ALL one shade!! Note reworked window switches now all in line, no wonky angles.

[Image: 100_0304.jpg]

Seats were not good, stripped and repainted frames and runners, re-trimmed new DMCH covers. All carpets removed, edging re sewn and a good shampoo clean

[Image: 100_0307.jpg]

Rear side panels and arm rests were torn and split by door seals.
re-trimmed using new vinyl, speaker holes were a bitch!

[Image: 100_0305.jpg]

New head liner, and door seals to finish.

Well worth it though.

Allen, Saturday is fine.

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
WOW Shock Nice job Darren, looks great.
So far Saturday is still ok, Ill let you know if I have to change it,,Thanks :wink:
DOC # 595
Thanks Allen,

I'm after the "Just left the factory" look!

Not sure why the steering wheel looks brown in the photo, it's definately black, must be the flash, or my eye for detail. Shock

Any how you'd never guess she's done 61K miles!

Working on the chassis and underside now, adding the WOW factor here too Big Grin

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
those seats look gorgeous Smile - they really do look very comfy, really
sumptous looking Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie