Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stainless Steel Fittings
How about a complete kit that replaces ALL of the steel bolts/nuts etc on the car with s/s ones.

I am wondering if PJ Grady has been keeping a list of the s/s parts they may use when restoring/rebuilding cars and could off the back of this produce a 'Stainless Steel DMC-12 fixings kit' that could be ordered by other owners so they can convert their cars in one go or as they need to over time...

What are your thoughts guys?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
The only advantage SS has over steel is corrosion resistance. On the other side of the fence, SS suffers galling too easily (esp when you mix stainless bolts with stainless threads), and can't be as strong or as hard. It works in light duty applications that are prone to corrosion - for example the nuts along the bottom edge of the rear fascia.

Good quality steel fastners last a lifetime. The DeLorean sits in the middle of the road IMO when it comes to original quality. It's not as good as a Japanese car but streets ahead of a French one!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
hi

i too would like plenty of stainless fixings.

the amount i've had to drill out....covers by the spare wheel, washer bottle cover, winscreen surround, front fascia to name a few.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Galling..for those ,like me, that had forgoten what it meant :?
Galling is a cold welding phenomenon which can occur when uncoated stainless steel or aluminium alloy parts, such as the threads of nuts and bolts, are forced together. These materials owe their corrosion resistance to the ease with which they passivate, forming a thin protective oxide layer. The friction scrapes off this oxide layer from the surface asperities and exposes clean reactive metal. If the mating parts are of a sufficiently similar material, no additional activation energy is needed to cold weld them together.

Galling can occur even if the parts are brought together slowly, and it is prevented by the presence of grease or surface coatings, even if the surface coatings increase friction. It does not occur when joining dissimilar materials
DOC # 595