Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squeeky alternator
Hi all I have a squeeky altenator and but i don't know wether it's the belt or the alt itself. what do you think anyone. should i just tighten the belt or what.
Dan. The tree man
Not here for a long time. Just here for a good time
Live up to all you know. Nothing more. Nothing less
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
Dan, try and twist the belt. If you can rotate it with your finger more than 90 degrees then it needs tightening. My belt was wearing, it was tighened and then shredded and broke on the way to the NEC 2005. If it looks worn change it!
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
If it's a continuous 'chirping' sort of noise, might sound a bit like a hiss then it's probably the alternator bearings that are worn. Any decent alternator/starter recon place can replace them if you don't fancy doing it yourself

If it squeals when you rev the engine, particularly from cold then it's most likely the belt is loose or worn. Uses Chris' test to check it.

I have seen no end of incorrect sized belts just recently. The width of the belt is as important as it's length. The alternator and AC belts should be 12.5mm. The 9.5mm I have seen quoted in various places is too narrow and will bottom out on the pulleys. No matter how much you tighten it, it will always squeal and overtightening belts leads to excessive wear on the pulley bearings.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
RichH Wrote:If it's a continuous 'chirping' sort of noise, might sound a bit like a hiss then it's probably the alternator bearings that are worn. Any decent alternator/starter recon place can replace them if you don't fancy doing it yourself

If it squeals when you rev the engine, particularly from cold then it's most likely the belt is loose or worn. Uses Chris' test to check it.

I have seen no end of incorrect sized belts just recently. The width of the belt is as important as it's length. The alternator and AC belts should be 12.5mm. The 9.5mm I have seen quoted in various places is too narrow and will bottom out on the pulleys. No matter how much you tighten it, it will always squeal and overtightening belts leads to excessive wear on the pulley bearings.

The noise could also be the water pump bearings too !
No its not the water pump its definately coming from the alternator dirrection. Now you mention the hissing sound, its been doing that since i bought her and then it stopped for a few trips and now i have the squeek. It squeeks more if i turn the lights on. But only squeeks for a bit, say a couple of miles, until hot i suppose. Can the bearings be replaced. I thought i'd have to buy a new alternator.
Dan. The tree man
Not here for a long time. Just here for a good time
Live up to all you know. Nothing more. Nothing less
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
My money is on the Alt belt Dan

If it has been squeeling for a little while it may have gone 'shiney' for the cost i would go with a new belt and see if that sorts it for you.
are you sure its not an earing i saw it on tv once he he
TT :lol: :lol:
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
It could be a pig or a snake :lol: :lol: :lol:
eh...what some poor little piglet trapped in his engine compartment?

now that would be a first Wink
And there goes a flying pig. :lol: :wink: Big Grin