Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
classic car ban in the uk ( in towns )
hi all

just been sent this by a friend see what all club memebers think of this then :twisted:

hi Glen Have a look on what they want to do know.....

This was posted on MOCGB site.

Fear over proposals to restrict the use of classic cars
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Reject any proposals to ban or restrict the use of older cars.

An e-petition submitted by Richard Jewell of NA. Note the deadline to sign up is 18th March 2008. Signatures supporting the e-petition at 1st February 2008 were 19,555.
Support the petition at:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Classic-Cars Several EU proposals across the years are dangerous to the classic car movement. One that has been under consideration is to ban the use of cars older than 10 years. Similarly, Edinburgh City Council is considering the banning of cars over 15 years old from the town centre. These, and similar, proposals directly threaten the classic car movement, and encourage the manufacture of new cars, with the attendant environmental issues of sourcing raw materials, manufacturing, distributing and scrapping the spiralling supply of new vehicles.

Someone in Local/National & European Government reacting to uninformed pressure . I can see the pre-73 free road Tax going 'in the national interest'.
I can't see this happening, if I'm honest, because my daily car is 9 years old this year, and the outcry that would result in the banning of what, to most people, are their everyday cars, would be too immense to be viable.

Some people can't afford to own a car that's less than 10 years old, so to ban them would be the most ridiculous thing to happen in this country since we entered the EU.

It's just a proposal, and I think that's all it will ever remain.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
I remember this came up last year and there was a petition then as well.
VIN: 6511
According to Practical Classics there was a very real proposal to do this in Germany last year, and the classic car movement took to the streets in their thousands and gridlocked the cities, thankfully resulting in a climbdown.

Just this week there has been a charge for HGV's in London...

I must admit, I can see this happening in the not too distant future. I'll be signing, once for each old car I have!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Its crazy if it happens. The people making the rules don't understand what they are making rules about. Lots of old cars polute less than some modern cars. Just becuase they are old it doesn't mean they are all polluters.
Dan1986 Wrote:Its crazy if it happens. The people making the rules don't understand what they are making rules about. Lots of old cars polute less than some modern cars. Just becuase they are old it doesn't mean they are all polluters.

I'm afraid most of it is about jumping on the 'green bandwagon' so anything to make you pay or exclude 'supposed' enviromentally bad cars looks good for the green vote, even though most of us know and understand that it's just not true Cry
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
The country seems to be turning into a bunch of tree huggers :evil:

They want to ban us from driving our cars, then expand the airports... makes sence that :roll:
just crap from europe - I wouldn't worry about it.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
They don't take into account the CO2 prduced to make the car in the first place! This is more than the car produces in its life from the fuel.

NickT
yeah ban lorries from congestion zone just so they can clog up the 501 ring road cause more polution to drift into the congestion zone and then open runway 5 at heathrow to polute the air only higher up and have more people driving to the airports :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: funny ole lot us humans TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Lets be honest a well tuned D is hardly a planet polluter!
you right mike mine is puts out zero emisions as i dont use it much i reckon i add more to global warming :lol: TT ps ask mr monk
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I wouldnt worry to much about this, you have to remember a lot of politicians have classic and vintage cars, many take part in the london to brighton run, thats what the pre73 car tax was all about, the "boys" looking after themselves,,not us commoners :lol:
DOC # 595
zero emissions for mine too... but its still £190 a year road tax...

Its a bit like you have a TV... so you need a TV licence to watch it... even if you dont watch the BBC....

But then if i bought a coal fired pre 1973 classic car i wouldnt have to pay anything ....

#sigh#'
Tourettes Tony Wrote:reckon i add more to global warming :lol:

Whats global warming? Hasn't the earth been warming up for centuries anyway? Hence why we are not in an ice age anymore...