Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing the engine cover stay
hello

I've finally got around to replacing my engine cover stay with a new one from DPNW.

Can someone tell me what filler I should use to fill the holes made from when the original stay slipped and broke the lower engine cover.

I mistakenly filled it (now twice) with metal filler - but that didn't work and doesn't hold up at all.

I thought i had some plastic modellers filler around somewhere, but i can't find it now - would that work, do you recon? it's the stuff used if you're making airfix models, etc.

hope someone can help.

Barzo.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
It's a tough one that. If the repair is in the centre of the cover you might as well forget it and look for a replacement. Theres too much stress and flex in the centre for any repair to last. However if you don't mind re-working it as and when it fails (you may be lucky and it'll be fine) I'd try plastic bumper filler. Your local bodyshop supplier should have a selection. Try and avoid Halfords as they'll charge the earth for a tiny tube/tin, for which you could buy a bucket full at a body shop supplier for the same price. Try Brown Brothers or similar locally.
Good luck

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
would not some of the epoxy resins be better.

i have used these, they come with hardener and they are superb. rock solid and good bond. normal fillers are only for cosmetic fill and paint?.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Can you post a couple of pics of where its broke? I am a panel beater by trade and if its the actual center rib that's ripped out or damaged, no glue/filler on the market will hold it. It's simply too small a surface area with too much stress/weight on it.
You'd be better making some sort of re-inforcement bracket from steel or even better stainless which can be riveted or bolted through the centre rib and spans a greater length than the damage to spread the load. Drill some holes in it where the original bracket bolts through and it should be sturdy enough.

Stephen
[Image: stay.JPG]

the first hole and the last hole were damaged. I've filled the first hole with modeller's filler, but overnight it hasn't set. I'm going to try again, but this time but a small brance across the hole
- Dave Smith

Hi Barson,

Having seen the picture NO filler in the world will be any good here. I suggest you make up a stainless plate and inset it in the rib, secured with either rivets or bolts. Theres a couple of ways that you could do this. From one side of the rib or two thinner plates from both sides. You'll need to cut out the original damaged rib. The plates need to be longer than the black plastic stay bracket and will be visible.

Alternatively for an "invisible repair". Carefully widen the slot in the plastic stay bracket, make up a plate in 1mm or 1.5mm stainless to fit the rib but be hidden in the bracket. You could carefully countersink rivet it to your engine cover then re-drill the holes for the stay bracket. One thing's for sure it'll be fiddly.

Otherwise try DMCH ebay store, they had a secondhand engine cover last month.

Best Regards
Darren
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Hi Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELOREAN ... QQtcZphoto

Engine Cover Buy it Now £67.00

It ain't worth messing with a repair for that price!

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Darren

thanks for the replies. it's just that the one on ebay there has a fuggin great crack down the side of it and is one that's been damaged during shipping....repair indeed. Cry
- Dave Smith

Isn't there a modified engine stay out there that is longer?

NickT.
yeah, Hervey does the longer ones...

I bought the DPNW one that has four bolts in it (as i was ordering from them at the time)
- Dave Smith

I need to get one too as I keep losing my direct replacement (stick of wood!)

NickT
once i get mine repaired, I'll send you my stick of wood.

Wink
- Dave Smith

Big Grin

NickT
I'm surprised some of you with broken engine stay's havn't utilised the "parcel shelf" method. Drill 2 holes in the two closest corners of the engine cover, then thread pieces of nylon through with a knot on the bottom to support the engine cover. The top pieces of the nylon can have round terminal electrical connections attatched to them. All you need then are 2 small screws in the sides of the louvre for the electrical round trminals to hook on to.

Then when you lift your louvre to it's maximum gas strut travel, you can conveniently hang the engine cover up with your new nylon ties.. Smile

I would probably never do this personally, but its an idea.... LOL

[Image: 6049762.jpg]

PATENT PENDING. FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY
Hi Barson.

Oooops didn't read the description. Although an new one at £130 ain't too bad while the $ so weak.

Good luck
Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574