Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm sure it's in front of me but I can't find it....
I'm gonna ask a stupid question.

Where in the driving compartment is the engine cover release handle?

The reason I ask is today I went to see my new DMC before I put it in storage and the mechanic and me couldn't find it. In any case the lock mechanism doesn't work so we could just lift up the louvres and engine cover!!but I'd like to know. Maybe can someone send me a pic?

I had no owners manual, it was raining heavily, it was dark and thats my excuse for not being able to find the release handle!!

car is in now locked away in storage for a few months.

Thanks
Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
the bonnet release cable is in the drivers footwell (on LHD cars of course!)

If you feel up the LH side of the drivers footwell forward of the door, you'll feel the release cable - if you stick your head under your steering wheel, look up and to the left you'll be able to see it. Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hay Kevin i think your after the rear pull cord and that should be behind the drivers seat on LHD well it is on hana anyway just to the side of the cargo net
cheers tyson
Thanks - i did search behind the drivers seat but couldn't see it! next time i go to the car I'll try looking a bit closer.
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Claire was describing the location of the luggage/trunk access lever.

For the engine cover the pull handle is in a recess just below the bottom right hand corner of the rear window when leaning in from the drivers side of a LHD car. If you look past the drivers seat belt you'll see it.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Thanks Chris, I would have called you when I was at the car but i didn't have your number on me at the time :?
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Claire Usher Wrote:the bonnet release cable is in the drivers footwell (on LHD cars of course!)

If you feel up the LH side of the drivers footwell forward of the door, you'll feel the release cable - if you stick your head under your steering wheel, look up and to the left you'll be able to see it. Smile

Yeah, it's not this as this is for the luggage compartment.

It's quite a small knob beneath the rear window that you need to pull for the engine cover release, but it isn't immediately obvious unless you're really looking for it.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
Unless you got one like mine
Te engine compartment lid just lifts up from the back with out the use of the lever
ehhehheeheheheeeeheheeehhe Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
Bare in mind that the release handle of the trunk could be just a L shape piece of metal, as the plastic attachment at the end could have come off.

It's not a clear pic of the footwell, but your trunk handle should be at the same location as the white knob (it's a pivoted handle if it's OEM)

[Image: footwell.JPG]
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Outatime Wrote:Bare in mind that the release handle of the trunk could be just a L shape piece of metal, as the plastic attachment at the end could have come off.

It's not a clear pic of the footwell, but your trunk handle should be at the same location as the white knob (it's a pivoted handle if it's OEM)

[Image: footwell.JPG]

Yes but this is for the luggage compartment.

We are talking about the release handle for the engine cover, not the luggage compartment.

This is what Claire Usher mentioned but it's the release behind the drivers' seat that's being looked for.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
Stupid me, missing the whole point of the thread :lol: Thanks for pointing that out! :oops:

Yea, it's behind the driver seat, on the top corner of the firewall right under the rear windscreen :roll:
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

I grabbed this off:

http://www.babbtechnology.com/pics/3472 ... e/bass.jpg

[Image: Release_Handle.jpg]

You must know where it is now 8)
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Nice one John... Do you think that owner has removed his rear louvre, or has his bass tube blown it away? Hardly likely, but its gone..... unless it was raised when the pic was taken! LOL
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Nice one John... Do you think that owner has removed his rear louvre, or has his bass tube blown it away? Hardly likely, but its gone..... unless it was raised when the pic was taken! LOL

I would guess it's probably just raised.... but usually people with these massive bass tube in the D takes things off their D... so it might be removed too! :lol: Just like the Red Bling Bling D in Germany

[Image: efredside1x1.jpg]

(No offence to anyone with a big bass speaker in their D, as I have one in mine too, lol)
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Thanks to all for advice and pictures
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609