Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future value of DMC's
Hi All,
I am a new member. I am very close to buying a DMC12. I just need to persuade my other half that the car won't depreciate in value. My argument is that if i went out and bought a VW Golf for example I'd pay the same but the car would depreciate immediately.... but a DMC will generally hold its value.
Am i right?
Thanks
Kevin
Based on values just over the last 5 years they have been steadly going up.

Providing you dont pay over the odds I havent seen anyone lose money on the purchase price of the car.

Take a good look around this forum for 'first time buyers ' it will be of great help to you.

Oh and welcome Smile

Where abouts are you btw?
I'm based in Milton Keynes. I know Chris here and I've been out in his car. The car I'm looking at is here in UK, its the manual one in Manchester which is advertised on a few websites.
Hi Kevin, and welcome to the forum. As Mike pointed out, prices have, and are steadily rising, but you also have to consider the extra expenditure and lack of practicality, which most "other half's" put a dampener on. Lets face it, we love the DeLorean, but sometimes the opposite sex don't, and it's seen as a toy rather than an everyday essential. A car's a car to them, with little input, luckily we have some women in our club that greatly appreciate the car for what it is.

I would not use my DeLorean as an everyday car. I'm not saying it isn't capable, but I couldn't afford to. If something big goes wrong, it's not as easy as just booking it in somewhere to get it done. Dont get me wrong, most garages are capable, but I've found i wont leave it with anyone, not to mention being on pins all day.

The MPG is greater than your average VW Golf
Insurance MAY be more expensive
Road tax MAY be more expensive, depending on the Golf's emmisions catagory.
The Golf is probably easier to drive. In fact, I know it would be, better vision, easier parking, RHD which we are all used to over LHD
Only 2 seats and a small boot area. Certainly not as spacious as a Golf.
These are all things you might come up against in a difference of opinion with your other half when the car is yours!

If the DeLorean is intended to be a second fun car, then I take it all back, because I couldnt think of a more fun car to own, that gets you noticed so much.

But as an "instead of". think carefully!

And the one you are looking at looks like a nice car. it's just a matter of winning the woman around!

Good luck, and hope you are an owner soon!

Ben
Which one is for sale in Manchester out of interest?

I found the insurance to be the same fullycomp on the D as it is to insure my corrado 3rd party!! As for the space, how often are you going to be carrying stuff about in the delorean? I know I'm not, dont want to risk scuffing up the trim for a start. I have my old suzuki sj for that!

Ben, I remember reading somewhere that your mrs has a delorean tattoo? She must love them to do that!
VIN: 6511
Well its more my initials than anything else, but it is a trademark of the car now (Blimey). But if the DeLorean ever goes, at least I can take it with me!

Yes. the girl's a nutter!

[Image: 4656310.jpg]

Thats not the only one either :oops:

[Image: 4638769.jpg]
[Image: 4638777.jpg]
[Image: 5618951.jpg]
Classic :lol:

I love the plate, 'created for more than just time travel' Big Grin
Thanks for the replies. I used the VW Golf solely as an example of a similar priced car. As a matter of fact I have a Toyota corolla (estate) as the family car!
If and when I get the DMC it'll be put in professional storage and not in my mouse infested/house junk infested garage!! In other words the car will be my toy...only to be played with occasionally in the summer months!

The car is the second one advertised for sale on this website - with the older style bonnet
Ah that one. I just assumed that was sold as its been there for a while. It looks a nice example Big Grin
I talked to the mechanic who's serviced it (Martin at Delorean.co.uk) and he said that its one of the smoothest deloreans he's ever driven. Its high mileage 58K but its in good condition and been well maintained.
I wouldn't consider 58k to be high mileage on a DeLorean. These cars have supposedly done 400K on an original engine. Take into consideration that the angle drive was a regular failure, and the americans are known not to care too much for their car's, so I'd be surprised if any DeLorean imported from the states is "original" mileage. Even if the lambda counter tally's, theres ways round all of it. I don't think these cars show their age like other cars, and i'm amazed at the people that have said to me that mine looks brand new :?

My car had 26K on it when I bought it, and had 2 owners in 25 years.

I'm a sceptic in thinking that's original, even if the lambda does tally, and if I found out it wasn't original, I wouldn't be surprised, and I wouldn't care!

In the meantime though, I'm happy to put the miles on it, as it's better to be used once a week than once a month.

Big Grin
My old engine had about 110K kilometres on it (68K miles) and still ran really well. Don't be afraid to put miles on it.

Edit: Regarding the value, the car is unlikely to depreciate but if you're anything like me you'll end up spending rather more on it than you ought to. :-)
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
As I was saying to Kevin, most the of £££ I have spent has been improving/replacing the cosmetics that were tired after 25 years... I have thought alot about the lack of depreciation and know full well that even if I spend £10,000 on the car it won't make it a £27,000 DeLorean...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
It is difficult to compare a modern car with a "classic" , but talk of VW Golf's...I bought a nearly new one, for my wife, an "s" reg a few years ago for 13K, it is an Auto TD, I also my bought "Lefty" that became my BTTF car and is now back as a normal LHD. I recon the Golf is worth about 25% of its purchase price now and Lefty is worth about 180%. We still have both and dont plan to sell either, neither of them have had anything more than normal maintinence money spent on them, new battery set of tyres ect. Perhaps I have been lucky with Lefty, but it had only done 110 miles when I bought it and is an 83 car. Make of that what you will.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian