Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyno Pull in a Delorean
Afternoon all. Well finally got a chance to stick "Maddie" on a Dyno to get some ball park figures for what sort of power I'm getting.

I know we're still tweaking with the fueling so I needed to get a baseline so I could see what improvements can be made.

Just sticking the page up at the moment but it will be here

www.emagineproductions.co.uk/delorean
and click on the dyno link

Really good experience to do actually. Learn't a lot about what the car was up to at different RPM's. I know now I should be able to get at least another 20-30bhp when I get it richer in fuel at the top end. I did get about 33mpg on the run back from Edinburgh in August to I could sacrafice worse fuel economy for more horsepower.

Anyways, I'll let you all have a look see.

Also I could organise a Dyno Run Day for the DOC if anyone would be interested. It would work out at £35 + VAT a car for a power run. Could be fun. They have had quite a few Car Clubs down there now and they make up a bit of a league table when the club comes down. If enough people are interested I get it sorted!
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
What did the operator suggest what to modifications do next?

Looks like a bit of a dip in the mid-range power and torque.

Are the results of the graph the power/torque at the wheels or is it auto-calculated at the engine factoring in transmission losses?

I wonder what the results of a standard DeLorean would be.
This would make a direct comparison plausible.

A dyno run sounds like a great plan.

I bet it was a fun day out you lucky lucky man.

NickT.
Brum Brum !!

Sounds like great fun getting your car Dyno'd!

Interesting stuff reading all your figures back. About time this was done . I would Love to see some proper figures for a stock manual and Auto... and maybe even a European Volvo engine that is fitted to a few D's over here.

This the full DMC Ltd Stage 2 conversion right?
They were accounting for 30hp loss in the transmission which is a little low IMO, the Alpine boys always account for more like 50-60 but I'm very keen to get some more fuel into it because it did go like a bat out of hell when we first set it up, but the fuel economy went noticably downward at that point. There are also gains to be made in advancing the cam timing, but you do sacrifice quite a bit of drivability at low end. That "dip" between 3 and 4.5 is actually more representative of the curve up to 4.5 if you run more advance, but you get more power at top. Adjusting the cam timing is a pain in the neck though :-)

Way back in the mists of time, Chrispy's completely stock car was dyno'd at 88hp at the wheels.

Of course, Stu, ultimate twiddlability is achieved with that lovely shiny EFI manifold that's just sitting there.... Big Grin
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Ahh wicked! Stu that looked like loads of fun! What camera did you use to shoot that? Looks like you've got your QuickTime compression settings dialled! Smile
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
Sounds great. I would definitely put my name down for the next event depending on dates!

I have a dyno place in Milton Keynes if this provides a more central location for everyone to travel to.

For the next dyno run we could do a stock car, stock car with modified exhaust, Richard's Twin Turbo, Tony's single turbo, my car (sort of stage 1 with full-free flow) and Martin's Skyline. Plus lots of other variants.

It is worth pointing out that this is a safe stress free power test for your car that won't strain the transmission/tires etc like a track day would...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Well basically to get more power out we need to stop it leaning off so much at higher RPM. The engine is actually being starved of fuel up above 5500rpm. So I think martin knows more but bascially its do to with shimming out the metering head.

The guy did give me the figures for air to fuel ratios somewhere.

When I find the bit of paper I wrote them on I'll post more.

Chris, If you fancy organising it with me then I don't mind. Would possibly be interesting to get my car on another dyno to see how they vary.
Give your guys a call and see what price they can do us for a club event? And see if they can do it on a sunday?

Like Chris said, this doesn't hurt the cars at all. In fact I think maddie liked it Smile
I know that once they turned those heffing great fans on running at 100mph it got bloody freezing in there so no chance of the car overheating!

One question that maybe mart can answer though. As there was no real ai rushing into the air scoop on the right of the car as it would be if the car were moving would this affect the BHP even in a small way? Just curious
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Hi John, yeah I think I'm getting the hang of quick time compression now. Just going with the default settings, that one was broadband high quality.

Oh and I only shot it on my little Sony Handycam DCR-PC350E to be precise.

Might stick some footage up that my passeneger shot from the London Tunnel run in September too.
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Emagine Wrote:Oh and I only shot it on my little Sony Handycam DCR-PC350E to be precise.

Well its a heck of a good quality video from it, i thought it was from one of these new HD jobbies Smile
Emagine Wrote:One question that maybe mart can answer though. As there was no real ai rushing into the air scoop on the right of the car as it would be if the car were moving would this affect the BHP even in a small way? Just curious

Was that an extract or input fan in the wall at the front of the car i saw? was this running ?
Emagine Wrote:Well basically to get more power out we need to stop it leaning off so much at higher RPM. The engine is actually being starved of fuel up above 5500rpm. So I think martin knows more but bascially its do to with shimming out the metering head.

The guy did give me the figures for air to fuel ratios somewhere.

When I find the bit of paper I wrote them on I'll post more.

Chris, If you fancy organising it with me then I don't mind. Would possibly be interesting to get my car on another dyno to see how they vary.
Give your guys a call and see what price they can do us for a club event? And see if they can do it on a sunday?

Like Chris said, this doesn't hurt the cars at all. In fact I think maddie liked it Smile
I know that once they turned those heffing great fans on running at 100mph it got bloody freezing in there so no chance of the car overheating!

One question that maybe mart can answer though. As there was no real ai rushing into the air scoop on the right of the car as it would be if the car were moving would this affect the BHP even in a small way? Just curious

You put an extra shim on the pressure regulator that is in the fuel distributor to up the overall fuel pressure. It's v tiny and takes about 20 mins (if you don't drop them down the V !) Might be useful to monitor fuel pressure next time it's on the rolling road.

I think the pump is ok for the flow demand at that engine speed.

It's all interesting stuff, let us know how you get on. Smile

NickT.
Well, I am guessing most owners will be tucking their car up for the winter. For the best turn out I would suggest Spring and it gives everyone enough time to get there cars tip top to give the best results.

Can we have some hands so that Stu and I can gauge what the level of interest will be. The more that can do it the cheaper it will be plus a larger quantity of cars will give a broader test bed and will give even more interesting results.

I am urging the vendors on the list to produce and list on the forum a checklist of ideal things to check/perform to enable each car to perfrom and give its very best at the audition... Who wants to be Sharon Osbourne?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
The fan at the front was an input fan running at full pelt. They had extractor fans above the rear of the car.

Noisy and cold in there!

The operator was listening to the engine the whole time through those ear defenders you see him wearing. Just a bit of rubber tube attached to a piece of copper tube whch was then bolted to the engine block. He said the engine sounded tip top with all injectors firing cleanly all thru the rev range. Had a little listen myself. Quite bizarre to here each injector ticking at idle.
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Stu,
If you want to do a quick comparison with a stock D' as soon as my car comes back from P.J Gradys I can pop down and we can do a comparison run against each other, before she gets locked away for the winter!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
bozzzydmc Wrote:Well its a heck of a good quality video from it, i thought it was from one of these new HD jobbies Smile

Yeah Mike so did I! Just really good compression! Impressive!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk