Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Front Speakers
Hi all

I have removed my old front speakers and have ordered a set from DMCL, I just wanted to know if anyone else has replaced their speakers with these ones and what do they think of them??

My rear speakers just about work but I have the fader all the way to the front so the front ones do most of the work. Dont fancy replacing them at any stage!!
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Hi Alistair,

I've got some Boston S35's which came from a car audio place in Nottingham (Phill W knows which one), they were about £30 with the VAT.

Sound quality is pretty good and I can play my CD's/MP3's/Radio quite loud now Smile

For anyone who desires complete originality though, I've still got my original Craig front speakers, which look like they are still in very good condition - they just sound s**t :lol: Offer's anyone..... ?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Alister,
I am about to fit 'JBL GTO326e' SPEAKERS 75W 3.5 INCH These were recomended by a fellow D owner, although I have not fitted them yet they look very good, and am assured they fit OK. They to were about £31.00 (delivered) from an ebay seller.
I have just replaced the rears as I 'thought' they were the origional Craigs. however, having allready bought new ones, got the sides off (also to replace a seatbelt) to find that they had allready been replaced with perfect fitting quality 120w clarion units :roll: Bugger!! Never mind if any one is looking for a pair of perfect fitting rear speakers, Clarion 120W with 'tweeter' get in touch Big Grin before they hit ebay..
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Alistair,

If you dont fancy replacing the rear ones, and that does require removing the inside rear quarter panels which is fun, then another option maybe to remake the rear back board and place speakers in that so you dont destroy the original one.

I used some 8mm thick ply wood, cut it to shape, Covered it in black sub box carpet and then fitted some Sony 6x9's in it. Sounds great as the speakers are pointing at the back of your head and you have plenty of room to fit other things like tweeters and amps etc.
I might go the road of a new rear carpet board...

Saw a post on the DML with pictures on how to make it, seems simple enough.

My front speakers still work fine but my rears are terrible and this could be an easy way of doing it. Maybe give it a go next week.

Trip to my local B&Q is in order I think.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Hey Claire - a bit late I know - but have you still got those Craig front speakers? One of mine has died. How much were you looking for for the pair?

Also, to the Williamses - I think my rears are also about dead - certainly the passenger side one sounds like a series of rattles in a plastic bucket - have you ebayed those yet?

Cheers folks,
rich Hanlon
393/ 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Hey Claire - a bit late I know - but have you still got those Craig front speakers? One of mine has died. How much were you looking for for the pair?

Also, to the Williamses - I think my rears are also about dead - certainly the passenger side one sounds like a series of rattles in a plastic bucket - have you ebayed those yet?

Cheers folks,
rich Hanlon
393/ 06126

Too late bud, I got in there first to get the rear speakers ! Smile

NickT.
yeah, I've still got the front ones Rich.

You're welcome to come round and have a look at them and if they're any good to you then make me an offer for them.

I'm out tonight and tomorrow, but Friday evening or anytime Saturday is ok with me.

Seeya soon,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks folks - I'll give you a bell on Friday if that's OK then Claire and head over.

Too quick for me there Nick! Still - I have a pair that were all that was resuable from a Metro I sort-of owned once - I'll see if those fit!!!!

Rich Hanlon
393/06126
Just a thought - what size are the rears officially anyway? Before I go pulling things to bits...

Rich Hanlon

393/06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Just a thought - what size are the rears officially anyway? Before I go pulling things to bits...

Rich Hanlon

393/06126

4" x 10" .... not an easy size to get over here in the UK, but DMC Ltd have some on their site i see
I believe there are two big 'how to' articles in the next edition of the club magazine one on the front speaker replacement and another one on the rear ones. Definatley worth waiting for : Big Grin Big Grin
The 4 x 10 are hard to get in the UK, but more common in the US. I used Kicker 4 x 10, which kicker do import into the UK , though I believe there was a shortage and there not cheap...ie £80. Also the mounting is not great as they are held in place by the magnet. If you do decided to replace them either get some OEM ones, as you never going to get amazing sound from them in that position, or buy from DMCL as they are 3 way. Oh and when removing the rear 'B pillar' trim piece please be careful with the thin plastic wrapped over the door edge as they split at nothing and there are no new ones available :!:

A job for a heat gun and take it very slowly Smile
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
NickT Wrote:
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Hey Claire - a bit late I know - but have you still got those Craig front speakers? One of mine has died. How much were you looking for for the pair?

Cheers folks,
rich Hanlon
393/ 06126

Too late bud, I got in there first to get the rear speakers ! Smile

NickT.

I have packed up the speakers now to post to Nick, However the Clarion ones that were fitted were an absolute perfect fit into the brackets, and were 100w and a good brand of speaker. As I say they are packed up, but Nick may be able to list the part number if there is one on there when he gets them. They may still be availeable somewhere.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
ok I'll do that.

Maybe a parts cross reference experience should be added on the members forum. Ideas? Idea

NickT.