Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necessary Seals / O rings etc
Hello all. As most of you have probably read, I'm changing my clutch in the coming weeks, well the 14th November is the exact date. Without further confusion, I'd like to know the exact seals that MAY require changing when the box is off, with relavent part numbers, (Peugeot Renault Volvo if possible) I have had different opinions, but the best thing to do is have the parts ready just in case to prevent work coming to a halt. IE, if there is oil on the clutch plate, what seal is that likely to be thats failed etc. Its probably worth changing the drive shaft seals too, any ideas? Finally, is it absolutely necessary to change the "pilot" bearing? I know its recommended. Where can I source one of these without having to seek overseas?

In english please!

I have tried contacting Martin from Delorean.co.uk but failed to reach him so far.

Thanks all

Ben
Hi Ben

Got your text earlier today, but certainly haven't received any e-mails from you. My ISP's spam filter is pretty good but the odd mail does seem to go astray - sorry for that!

The spigot bearing is a Renault part and is about £12 and is definitely a "while you're in there" job. I subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality when it comes to the rear main seal, but if you do want one, they are much cheaper from Volvo (B28E or B280E engine) 1985 Volvo 760 should see you right. The gasket that goes behind the rear main seal plate is about £1.50 from Renault and I keep those on the shelf because they're so cheap.

As to gearbox seals themselves, the driveshaft seals are the only ones that are known for failing regularly and can be changed on the car. I've never bought an input shaft seal myself and I'd go to my gearbox blokie for that. When a 'box is leaking that badly, I like to get them split and rebuilt just to cover all bases, and that includes strengthening #2 selector fork.

BTW, sales hat on, the uprated turbo clutch kit (as fitted to Chris Hawes' car recently) has just come down in price. I can do one for £145 plus postage.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks for your reply martin. I'm ok for the clutch as i've already purchased one from GSF, but i wouldn't mind all of the above if you've got them on the shelf or if you can get them. Just give me a price, and i'll get a cheque in the post. Failing that, maybe you could give me the actual renault part number for the pilot bearing, and things you don't keep on the shelves. I appreciate your quick response!

Ben
Just realised I listed these a while back for my own ref. Dug up the old file.

Renault

77 03 090 115 Spigot Bearing
79 10 245 368 Rear main seal plate gasket
79 03 001 427 Flywheel bolt (7 required) and should be changed if removed.

Driveshaft seals - don't know the number but same as '89 25 Turbo. Use reg number F747 ETA if they ask for one. If they tell you it doesn't exist, tell them they're talking nonsense 'cos I owned it.

Volvo - rear main seal, should be less than a tenner.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks Martin... Can get all these locally now!

:wink:

Ben