Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do the Torsion Bars Work?
All,

If you've ever wondered how the torsion bars actually work - how they were made, if they can be repaired or remanufactured, here's a link to a write up I did a while back...

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericConten ... _Bars.html

We may look at getting some of these manufactured early next year - but there doesn't seem to be an impending need for them just yet...

Thanks

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
me thinks i should replace my drivers side piston to help relieve load on the bar Shock

how much are they per pair? Smile
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
£50 quid. :lol:

can't seem to edit my previous post ..... :?
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Sorry Darren, but I have to diagree with this statement:

"Using old or underpowered gas struts will not help – as when opening a 60lb gullwing door, instead of taking over from the torsion bar after the initial couple of inches – the lack of gas strut strength will put more of that 60lb load onto the bar"

Whether you have a gas strut or not will make no difference to the load on the torsion bar. The same turning force is applied to the bar with or without a strut.

But yes, over tightening a torsion bar to compensate for a weak strut will place additional load on the bar.

The major purpose of the torsion bars is to counterbalance the weight of the doors so that the gas strut can atually lift them. The early prototypes did not have gas struts at all. But concerns were raised that if a torsion bar were to snap on someone when exiting the car, the full weight of the door would drop unhindered onto the occupant! Ouch!

Nice write up though...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hi

i think a while ago specialTauto had welded one back together, after a 'clean' break.

not sure how it is holding up now though.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Thanks Rich,

You're right - the twist on the bar is the same with or without a strut. I'll update the write up when I get a moment.

I have seen a welded bar up close - it can be done very easily - but I wouldn't put any reliability in it!

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:We may look at getting some of these manufactured early next year - but there doesn't seem to be an impending need for them just yet...
Thanks
Darren

Ayup Darren,

I think as with anything on the D, components are wearing out, and driver's side torsion bars especially, as you know, are hard to get and command a high price premium.
If they could be remanufactured at an 'accessible' price, then I think people (including me) would definately buy a set "just in case" Smile

Cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Well,

The cryogenic part is no problem - I have someone lined up for that part.

The expensive bit is remaking the splined end of the bar - and the twisting.
Twisting the bar itself isn't easy - but once twisted - the bar would need to be machined smooth again before freezing.

Estimates I have for this come in so far at £1200 for the first bar (including tooling) - and then less and less for subsequent bars.

At these figures - you'd need a run of at least 100 to make it cost effective - but I suspect most of those 100 would sit on the shelf for a long, long time!

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
I can appreciate that the initial investment would be very costly, and that is something you need to consider.

However, 100 torsion bars = 50 Cars........ there's circa 6,000 left....

even if you sold them one at a time .... As I once heard James Espey say at the DMCH Open House in 2003 (whilst talking about a large pile of NOS steering columns) "its time will come".

Obviously, its down to you guys, but if you did sell them again, I think you'd probably be the only place in the world with a supply of them Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
True...

I think the first out of production part I'd like to get remade is the steering column plastic housing...a lot of cars we see are missing tehse - or they're broken.
I don't expect these will be too hard to remake - once time allows.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Here here, I had to make a foam gasket to stop the black plastic housing from creaking when turning the wheel left and right because it isn't held together as well as it used to be. It also sits a little wonky :?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:Thanks Rich,

You're right - the twist on the bar is the same with or without a strut. I'll update the write up when I get a momen

Darren

now thats what i like about darren and chris, honest and straight up, now i like that Smile TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:Well,

The cryogenic part is no problem - I have someone lined up for that part.

The expensive bit is remaking the splined end of the bar - and the twisting.
Twisting the bar itself isn't easy - but once twisted - the bar would need to be machined smooth again before freezing.

Estimates I have for this come in so far at £1200 for the first bar (including tooling) - and then less and less for subsequent bars.

At these figures - you'd need a run of at least 100 to make it cost effective - but I suspect most of those 100 would sit on the shelf for a long, long time!

Darren

Are the bars not different for both sides of the car though?? twisted in a different direction? Therfore would it cost more to produce two different types or does it not matter on the cost front as its only twisting them a different way? Either way a lot of money to lay out for one part to sit on a shelf
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
You're absolutely right Chris - they are different - both in the direction of the twist - and in the end of the bar (one's a hex end and ones a square end).

In reality, we'd only be looking at the drivers side - as there are passenger bars still in supply.

But the cost and limited need for these makes it a less likely requirement for now.

More likely the steering column covering or driver side escutcheon - both of which are likely to sell and be less than megabucks to manufacture.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
You know I want one of the first driver side escutcheon's Darren Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed