Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of turbos... sneak preview
cheers for that, and explaining the differences, very interesting Smile

That Renault 21 Turbo lump does look very neat in that Alpine engine bay Big Grin

Funny you mentioning diesel engines, we've always had a mad idea about getting a D with knackered engine and putting a nice torquey diesel lump in it, just not too sure what engine to go for (especially as we'd want to run it on veggie oil, so would have to be a pre 2000 engine with a Bosch fuel pump :wink: The Vauxhall/BMW 2.5TDS lump would be ideal, but it wont fit in the engine bay. The Cavalier 1.7TDS would fit, but is only 82bhp so would be too asthmatic for the job ......
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yeah that would be interesting

can you imagaine him every were else in the shops,in the pub, he would be the next dom jolly

HELLO!!!!! , YEAH I`M IN THE FUTURE CAN YA HEAR ME , WHAT
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-21-turbo- ... dZViewItem

Go on Claire you know you want to. Tongue
DOC # 595
there are a lot of engines that fit on the un1 gearbox so i was told i may go for a reliant engine :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:there are a lot of engines that fit on the un1 gearbox so i was told i may go for a reliant engine :lol: TT

Lexus V8 is a nice one. 32v, quad cam, rev real high. Guy in OZ makes the bellhousings.

Cheap to buy, nearly 300bhp on the late ones.

Not too harsh on the gearbox unlike the Reliant engine which will twist it in two... :lol:
The stock DMC is 68% weight in the rear. Having found out how heavy the 32 valve V8 Northstar was I binned the idea and I doubt the Lexus engine is much of an improvement. If you don't mind poor handling and the need to hack up the chassis to make it fit then why not :?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
i not sure if any ones mentioned it but what do ya look like in that photo rottbott

its sort of a cross between tom cruise and marty mcfly not sure very scarry
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
Chris Hawes Wrote:The stock DMC is 68% weight in the rear. Having found out how heavy the 32 valve V8 Northstar was I binned the idea and I doubt the Lexus engine is much of an improvement. If you don't mind poor handling and the need to hack up the chassis to make it fit then why not :?

Ahhh, nay worry about it ! Northstar engine with all anclilaries is 215kgs, about 40kgs more than the PRV, though add a turbocharger at 15k's, and a chargecooler system and fluids at another 10 and odds and sods and its negligable. Jeez, add twin turbos and all the other paraphenalia with it, and it will actually tip the scales no doubt..

Lexus V8 fully ancill'd up is 200kgs.

Even though its a bit further forward, I've never noticed 'poor' handling on a GTA with two friends in the back and thats another 160kgs in the rear, so adding another 10-15 at the engine instead seems by the by...
I guess the weight is only a big concern after you push too far, and not so noticeable before. But I've had my car at some pretty lurid angles without a problem (not intentionally). :)
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Ah, I've had an impromtpu 180 before now, take care before putting too much
a) weight or
b) oomph at the back!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rottbott Wrote:I guess the weight is only a big concern after you push too far, and not so noticeable before. But I've had my car at some pretty lurid angles without a problem (not intentionally). Smile

Is that with or without the bent trailing arm bolt ! Big Grin

NickT
David Gentleman Wrote:
Chris Hawes Wrote:The stock DMC is 68% weight in the rear. Having found out how heavy the 32 valve V8 Northstar was I binned the idea and I doubt the Lexus engine is much of an improvement. If you don't mind poor handling and the need to hack up the chassis to make it fit then why not :?

Ahhh, nay worry about it ! Northstar engine with all anclilaries is 215kgs, about 40kgs more than the PRV, though add a turbocharger at 15k's, and a chargecooler system and fluids at another 10 and odds and sods and its negligable. Jeez, add twin turbos and all the other paraphenalia with it, and it will actually tip the scales no doubt..

Lexus V8 fully ancill'd up is 200kgs.

Even though its a bit further forward, I've never noticed 'poor' handling on a GTA with two friends in the back and thats another 160kgs in the rear, so adding another 10-15 at the engine instead seems by the by...

No problem in my car. I just sit in it to make the weight distribution 80% front !!! I wonder why my car sits level with the oem spring on the front left and the lowered one on the front right ?? Ha ha ha.

Nick-if you're gonna have one, have a big un-T
NickT Wrote:
Rottbott Wrote:I guess the weight is only a big concern after you push too far, and not so noticeable before. But I've had my car at some pretty lurid angles without a problem (not intentionally). :)

Is that with or without the bent trailing arm bolt ! :D

NickT
Oh without, but with the original Yank tyres. And perhaps "immediately prior to" as well but that didn't go so well. :)
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152