The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: General Discussions on the DOC / Car / Company / JZD (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean (/showthread.php?tid=5882)

Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - priesh - 15 Sep 2018

Hi all - there's a decent article and video on Jalopnik for their Build of the Week. A custom DeLorean with 2 extra seats.

https://jalopnik.com/worlds-greatest-dad-added-a-backseat-to-his-delorean-to-1829034103

Makes me think of the setup in a Porsche. Nice that he used a related engine.

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - theningiachicken - 15 Sep 2018

Neat idea and well executed but not a huge fan of the brown interior mainly on the dash where its still black on top and brown lower down.

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - Chris P - 15 Sep 2018

I love the brown interior...I always thought that was one of the best features of Proto 1.

It looks a good conversion...are we looking at one or two cars...(I didn't read all the blurb).

(off topic..but I received a Master-Class in freeing off a stuck plunger in the Bosch metering head today, from Andrew Westerman)

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - priesh - 15 Sep 2018

I think he tested on the shell of a crashed car he had but then did the conversion to his actual car.

I like the tan interior too - looks plush

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - theningiachicken - 16 Sep 2018

What I meant Chris is that its showing homage to proto 1 with the interior but I could have done with the top of the dash being brown as to me it just looks odd without it being the same colour. Still its cool and ingenious

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - SpudMurphy - 17 Sep 2018

(15 Sep 2018, 18:20)Chris P Wrote: (off topic..but I received a Master-Class in freeing off a stuck plunger in the Bosch metering head today, from Andrew Westerman)

Did it by any chance involve holding the metering head in your hand and giving it a few sharp taps with a hammer? - (Newtons third law)

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - Chris P - 17 Sep 2018

Nothing as crude as that Spud..

...special high quality mole type grips on the protruding but solidly stuck plunger.....heat-gun up to about 85c, (using a digital laser thermometer) gentle twisting and pulling...mil by mil until if finally came out...then soaking the plunger in acetone and repeated rubs with kitchen roll until it looked like new.....then repeated cotton buds down the hole dipped in acetone, repeated until it was clean .. Not too much acetone as it could damage the internals.

Andrew was adamant that we didn't use any sort of abrasive...no wire wool.... no metal polish...not even t-cut...nothing!  The tolerances are so fine that it could ruin it (apparently).  Anyway, it gently goes in and out under its own weight, now it is cleaned of the dried petrol residue.
This is a UK car, apparently ones with old US fuel can be much worse!

It will be interesting to see if it actually works...later this week.

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - SpudMurphy - 17 Sep 2018

(17 Sep 2018, 09:50)Chris P Wrote: Nothing as crude as that Spud..

...special high quality mole type grips on the protruding but solidly stuck plunger.....heat-gun up to about 85c, (using a digital laser thermometer) gentle twisting and pulling...mil by mil until if finally came out...then soaking the plunger in acetone and repeated rubs with kitchen roll until it looked like new.....then repeated cotton buds down the hole dipped in acetone, repeated until it was clean .. Not too much acetone as it could damage the internals.

Andrew was adamant that we didn't use any sort of abrasive...no wire wool.... no metal polish...not even t-cut...nothing!  The tolerances are so fine that it could ruin it (apparently).  Anyway, it gently goes in and out under its own weight, now it is cleaned of the dried petrol residue.
This is a UK car, apparently ones with old US fuel can be much worse!

It will be interesting to see if it actually works...later this week.

100% on the "no abrasive/wire wool etc"
I was in my garage with my trusty 71 year old ex Volvo guy - many months ago. 
He had previously told me that I could take the metering head off but on no account was I to strip it down any further. My plunger was a bit "iffy".
He literally applied a few sharp taps to the head and out it popped - I have to say without his help there is no way would I have got 11789 running at the time.
look forward to the impending write up/photos.

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - TristanC - 17 Sep 2018

I realise we have hijacked Priesh’s thread - sorry

But Chris - I’m looking forward to further pics and possibly a video of the first start.
Smile

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - Chris P - 17 Sep 2018

Just lifted the fuel pump...stinks awful ...a lot a cleaning needed in there before we move on.

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - Phil Peters - 18 Sep 2018

(15 Sep 2018, 17:03)priesh Wrote: Nice that he used a related engine.

It would be nice to see that donor Alpine GTA Atmo saved too as it's a rare beast. Only 212 RHD Atmo models built and only 582 RHD GTAs produced in total.

RE: Article on 4 seat custom DeLorean - priesh - 19 Sep 2018

Wow that is rare. I wonder if he still has it and plans to restore