The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
VIN #531 on Ebay.com - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: DeLorean Cars or Parts For Sale or Wanted (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: VIN #531 on Ebay.com (/showthread.php?tid=5730)

VIN #531 on Ebay.com - Chris Williams - 05 Dec 2017

Very early 531 over on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-DeLorean-DMC-GULL-WING-NO-RESERVE/122845014924?hash=item1c9a222b8c:g:kvYAAOSwfVhaJd0S&vxp=mtr stood for a long time but looks, from what you can see (no chassis pics) as to be in reasonable condition

RE: VIN #531 on Ebay.com - Chris P - 05 Dec 2017

I was talking to to owner of 537 only yesterday..also an auto. These are very early cars...not necessarily more valuable, in my opinion, but interesting. After all a DeLorean is a Delorean is a Delorean. A lot of work needed to get it right.

RE: VIN #531 on Ebay.com - steve.s - 06 Dec 2017

Hi All

Chris P you are the father of Delorean knowledge....personally i believe worth some more (but thats me!), the vin list states a DOT test car, so presumably never sold to a customer, or at least early days. looks in pretty good nick (no frame pics), and most of us buying a project would know the engine may need alot of work, or if lucky a little, new belts and putting back together. it looks to me like they had aircon maybe pump issues, started to strip and came to a halt (dont we all sometimes on projects!)

would love to know its story, i definately would pay a premium, and would love to own it, but still out my reach until maybe next year!. although i do have a strange fixation of preproduction and prototype cars (tempted to buy the oldest Maestro in existence!, use to own prototpye MG SVR so i am a little sad!)

if anyone wants to buy it me for Christmas though...i'll put it on my list but have a feeling wife would not have enough paper!, darn it.

RE: VIN #531 on Ebay.com - Chris P - 06 Dec 2017

Hi Steve,
If the company had not gone bust, then all of these early cars would and should have been scrapped, after their time as test vehicles.

But as I'm sure you know, when a company does go bust, then the Receiver's job is to maximise any money for the creditors. Hence the instruction "get anything on wheels drivable and sold'.

There  In no doubt that first few hundred cars were all basically still  'test vehicles'  and about half were later scrapped. It took time to get everything right,  especially the underbodies.  That I believe, is why the vin numbers were associated to the underbodies and not to the chassis as we might have expected.

This accident of fate...(or bad management of the company, which ever way you look at it) ...does of course leaves us a with a rich legacy of early cars to look at and ponder about. Blush

If anyone does wants a very early car to play with...indeed the oldest (British built) running car in the world....Pilot 20 could be available..... if you have deep pockets!

Its all in the book...still a few copies left ......!

RE: VIN #531 on Ebay.com - OllieWilks - 06 Dec 2017

(05 Dec 2017, 23:23)Chris P Wrote: I was talking to to owner of 537 only yesterday..also an auto. These are very early cars...not necessarily more valuable, in my opinion, but interesting. After all a DeLorean is a Delorean is a Delorean. A lot of work needed to get it right.

Yeah I’ve never understood the perceived extra value in early production cars. Everyone who worked on them thought they were “dogs” then so not sure why you’d buy one for a premium 36 years on if you’ve got the choice?

RE: VIN #531 on Ebay.com - Chris Williams - 07 Dec 2017

Quote:After all a DeLorean is a Delorean is a Delorean.
I like that, I may have to use it somewhere.......

RE: VIN #531 on Ebay.com - Chris P - 07 Dec 2017

Yes Chris and I think that is an original of mine (not Dermot's! this time) But to me it's true...It doesn't really matter what gearbox it has or the colour of its interior, or if it has a flat bonnet or a gas flap....when they see it parked up, or in a garage being fuelled up.......or flying down the road........folk say in amazed tones:-    ......."look..... it's a DeLorean"!!!

In my entire life I ever only seen 2 'free range' DeLoreans on the road, so its a very rare sight....(I'm not talking about when we have an event of course).

When we were in Norfolk in 2006 and in the middle of a convoy of about 40 Deloreans, snaking their way around the bends and driving through the little villages of Norfolk.... it was, without doubt, one of the highlights of my life!