The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
canaball run - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 1 - Engine (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: canaball run (/showthread.php?tid=374)

Pages: 1 2

canaball run - dmcdj - 27 Feb 2007

martin

when did you put that v6 turbo engine in your ??????

Big Grin

- stunned_monkey - 27 Feb 2007

it's a bit of creative advertising. That is Rich's twin turbo engine which he and I built and got running. I've done the ECU on a 3 litre turbo Alpine, and I know all the ingredients of one of those engines, and I have all the bits sitting there ready to go. Just sorting out pistons at the moment. I've managed to get hold of a Venturi LM600 Cosworth piston to get copied (that's a 600hp LeMans engine). It's over a grand for a set of 6. Owchie.

- NickT - 27 Feb 2007

You must have found a top job now to get all that little lot !

How much for a set of copies??

NickT.

- NickT - 27 Feb 2007

BTW is Rich's car fully finished and on the road now? When I spoke to him last at Lotus he was searching for an ICI turbo.
What were the results on the rolling road? I'm interested about his twin turbo and the increase in power/ torque.

NickT.

Hi Nick

Rich's car gets worked on when Rich hauls his bottom down to the workshop - and I haven't really touched it for months because he was indeed looking for a new turbo. He now has one and hopefully we'll be fitting it fairly soon. The last time it drove was when I took it to Knebworth.

We had a problem with the oil seal behind the distributor and that needs changing, also the intercooler we had made was too restrictive. Still looking for a GTA one which can be handily modified (because the bars run across it rather than lengthways) - did have one but it's gone walkies.

The rolling road topped out at 140hp at the wheels, but maintained it from 4000rpm upwards suggesting intake restriction. It's a quick car as it is and every time I go to start it, it fires on the button (unless the dizzy is getting oiled up again!) - but the snag is the plumes of white smoke out of the right pipe when the engine warms up!

BTW It's an IHI RHB52 - same as on the original Legend engines and used on a multitude of Jap cars until relatively recently. Rich's getting them from a Mazda 323 turbo which have a higher flowing compressor and similar capacity engine and boost level.

When on song, his boosts progressively from 1500rpm up to full boost at around 2500. We've tried it at up to 1.2 bar, but inlet temps went a bit high. It'll be very different with a decent intercooler. The alpine boys have found a ceiling on a standard engine of 260hp.

I have a known good complete GTA engine plus bellhousing and flywheel (which incorporate the CAS), minus intake manifold, on the shelf. I also have three delorean/R30 crank cases which is all you'd need to put one in.

- Daniel Shane - 27 Feb 2007

stunned_monkey Wrote:Still looking for a GTA one which can be handily modified (because the bars run across it rather than lengthways) - did have one but it's gone walkies.

It didnt go walkies. I picked it up at the begining of the month.

- dmcdj - 27 Feb 2007

martin

but it says on your site that the engine is in your car are you taking your car to canaball or the v6 then ??

- Paul O'Malley - 28 Feb 2007

We had a problem with the oil seal behind the distributor and that needs changing,

Hi Martin,
Just something that struck me when reading your post.
Is the crank case being pressurized for some reason ? that would be consistent with the dizzy leaking and smoke out the exhaust.

- Daniel Shane - 02 Mar 2007

Paul O'Malley Wrote:Is the crank case being pressurized for some reason ? that would be consistent with the dizzy leaking and smoke out the exhaust.

Hi Paul

If I recall correctly and lets face it it's been a long time from when I last looked at that engine or have even seen the car running, It did not pressurise the crank case. There is a breather on the oil filler neck and that stays put. If there was pressure then I would expect it to be blown off.

All Richards car really needs is a good pair of matched turbos and a decent intercooler that is not too restrictive.

However I would love to see a Delorean do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Some say that this would be faster than an Esprit. However all Esprits from the s4 onwards can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds including the GT3. The V8 is 4.4 and even a little 1.8 NA Elise can do it in 4.8. My little 340R could do it in under 4, if you could keep traction Big Grin

Dont forget that the Esprit is only a 2.0L or 2.2L 4 cylinder single Turbo car. The V8 is a 3.5L V8 twin turbo and is under-stressed. It produces 355 BHP. With the Race ECU it produces over 450 BHP at the rear wheels so getting a thumping big 2.5L or 3.0L V6 twin turbo under 5 should be easy 8)

Dan

- dmcdj - 03 Mar 2007

cool 8)

i be glad if i could get up to 88 mph at the momment dan Big Grin

- Guinney1971 - 16 Mar 2007

stunned_monkey Wrote:Rich's car gets worked on when Rich hauls his bottom down to the workshop....

Dear All,

Some of you may know Rich J's girlfriend Helen - some of you may not. Well, Helen and I have become very good friends over the last few years, and following on from a very emotional phonecall with her tonight, she's asked me to make this posting as she is concerned that the impression might have been given that Rich is neglecting his car.

She would like you all to know, that the reason that Rich hasnt been able to 'haul his bottom down to the workshop' is that he has been spending every spare moment that he isnt working at his day job at Helen's hospital bedside, where she is currently suffering from jaundice and liver problems (to put it mildly) following on from an operation. Helen has been allowed home from hospital for this weekend only, and has to go back on Monday and doesnt know when she'll be allowed out again. She is having a biopsy on her liver on Tuesday, and her and Richard are of course anxious about the outcome.

She has asked me to say hello to all her friends in the club and I will of course let you all know when Helen is better or her condition improves.

I'm sure you will all join me in wishing her the very best for a speedy recovery.

Regards,

Claire

- Daniel Shane - 16 Mar 2007

Bloody Hell Shock

Helen Is a really good laugh and a great person to be around and this news is just shocking.

Claire can you send her and Rich my regards and I hope that see gets well soon.

All the best too both of them,

Dan

- NickT - 17 Mar 2007

Hope she gets well soon and give them my regards,

Obviously in situations like these everything else is unimportant. I have been there.

NickT

- Guinney1971 - 17 Mar 2007

thanks guys. I've just passed on your best wishes to her, it will mean alot to her I'm sure.

Hopefully she'll be fighting fit and back to mercilessly ripping the p**s out of everybody again soon Smile

Thanks,