The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Sun-visors - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 8 - Frame / Body / Interior (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Sun-visors (/showthread.php?tid=2475)

Pages: 1 2

Sun-visors - Rissy - 18 Sep 2009

When you undo the bolt that holds the sunvisor(s) in place, will they go straight back in, and secure again, or will the retaining element on the other side of the liner fall out of place making it a complete pain to get all back in place again?

I would like to remove mine from the car for a proper clean up and assess how to tidy up the weathering/tear on them. Was nearly gonna do that, but hesitated as I didn't want terrible time having to pull half the car apart just to get them back in place when finished! lol!

Re: Sun-visors - stunned_monkey - 19 Sep 2009

They screw into a plate with a nut welded on it that's pop riveted into the roof. It won't fall out but you might have fun getting the screws back in. I reconstructed the whole leading edge of your main headliner in fibreglass, FWIW (not that that makes any difference, it's a git to get them in at the best of times)

Re: Sun-visors - Rissy - 17 Oct 2011

Just the other day, i finally put my new sun-visors in place (bought them from Ed). The old shoddy ones that came out, being sun-bleached, and in the case of the drivers side, falling apart due to water damage from the leaky roof (now fixed), had the felt facing out of the windscreen, towards the sky, when folded forward, and therefore, the felt is showing towards the driver/passenger when folded backwards too.

Now...I don't know where i read it, or heard from someone, but there is something in my mind that tells me that at some point during original manufacture of the car, the felt in the sun-visors ended up on the OTHER side, so that it is the black nylon (plastic) side that faces the sky when folded forward, and therefore, shows the felt to the driver/passenger in this position too. That obviously means that the black nylon side would face the driver/passenger when folded back.

On that note, i was expecting to replace my original sun-visors with new ones, which would then have the felt on the opposite side from the ones i had already on the car. Upon receipt, this appears not to be the case. They are the same as the originals. I've now fitted them to the car, in the position given to me by the label on the poly bags they came it (felt facing out, skyward when folded forward - the same as my original ones)

So now, finally, i've got two questions.

1. Am i right in what i have said about a change to the direction of the felt later into production of the cars in the 80's?

2. IF i dismount the Sun-visors from the car again, and swap their positions, and twist the bars round the other way, will this work to get the nylon side to face the sky instead of the felt, when folded forward? Is this indeed all that the company employees did in the 80's if my question number 1. is true?

I'm curious to know "what's correct" if there IS such a thing, but also, i'm interested in trying to preserve the colour of the felt side, to stop them being bleached by the sun again.... which is what will happen again, over time, if i leave them mounted as labelled direct from America via Ed...felt facing outward.

Re: Sun-visors - Guinney1971 - 17 Oct 2011

Chris, I'll have a look at my car tomorrow, as mines 'close-ish' in vins to yours
and see what it looks like.

I *think* mine has the felt touching the inside of the roof panel when the visors are
closed, and black vinyl to the screen when opened - I will double check tho - and I've
never taken mine off, so I'll assume thats correct.

Re: Sun-visors - stunned_monkey - 18 Oct 2011

Lex's sun visors are indeed backwards and were when I bought it, but the metal bars can be pulled out and swapped. I just never got around to it! This was one of the photos on whose basis I bought Lex.

Re: Sun-visors - Guinney1971 - 19 Oct 2011

This is Flopsy's set up - Sorbet is the same:

[Image: 191020115034.jpg]

[Image: 191020115035.jpg]

[Image: 191020115036.jpg]

Re: Sun-visors - Rissy - 19 Oct 2011

...This is very interesting.

...Because, out of the plastic bags they came in, my new sun-visors are in the positions labelled, but are the same as the old ones i took off (Martin advised he thinks they were backwards), which are the opposite to yours Claire. Martin has been around a lot more cars than i, so maybe he can advise that it IS INDEED ME who is the "wrong way round" (even though they've been fitted as advised from the package from the Texas store!?) or if it is indeed EVERYONE else who is the wrong way round...!? lol! Most peculiar.

Your way round Claire, makes sense for when they are folded down, but mine (right now) make more sense when folded up (towards the driver) because then the felt is in the same direction as the headliner (Sun-visors spend more of their time UP rather than DOWN sort of philosophy perhaps?)

What i'm also taking into consideration here, is the fact that brand new, they are actually curved slightly at the ends. MY way round, follows not only the shape of the headliner when folded back, but ALSO the shape of the glass when folded down, or indeed forward (under the windscreen). BUT, i'm guessing Claire, and everyone else, with the sun-visors the same way round as Claire, that yours don't...?

Despite the answer/feedback, i'm thinking about taking them off again and inverting them anyway, just as a matter that then the felt wont get bleached. No other reason.

We got any input with any certainty? Historian, or experience-wise?? Would just like to nail this one. (Who'd of thought that just sun-visors on these cars could create a whole drama of discussion! lol!)

Re: Sun-visors - malcy34 - 19 Oct 2011

Trying to make myself useful for once and tried to do some research.....but all i could find was this.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Delor ... _visor.jpg Note it says "later style"..could this what is causing the confusion ????.....hope the pic helps too...!!

malcy34 Wrote:Trying to make myself useful for once and tried to do some research.....but all i could find was this.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Delor ... _visor.jpg Note it says "later style"..could this what is causing the confusion ????.....hope the pic helps too...!!

I did a similar search Malcy, and found the same pic. I think what they are referring to here, is the fact that this visor has a label with information on it, rather than the direction of the felt.....which is still the opposite from mine/new ones ordered!?

Found a chris hawes vid on youtube....at 1:19 theres an inside shot showing the visor in the down position.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xkj9x6WAyI

...I can't make out the felt from the vinyl in that video, but going by the curvature of the visor, its against the contour of the windscreen, and therefore, i'm presuming also the opposite from mine/newly ordered replacements.

ok..so DMC Texas on the parts page for sunvisors show a pic for Right hand side...with 2 visors....1 in up position the other down...and as far as i can tell the light grey goes toward the winscreen and the black bit shows in toward the cabin (when down)..so that when the visor is up..the light grey shows.....if that makes sense..!!.. http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10007-s ... -grey.aspx

malcy34 Wrote:ok..so DMC Texas on the parts page for sunvisors show a pic for Right hand side...with 2 visors....1 in up position the other down...and as far as i can tell the light grey goes toward the winscreen and the black bit shows in toward the cabin (when down)..so that when the visor is up..the light grey shows.....if that makes sense..!!.. http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10007-s ... -grey.aspx

...Which is exactly what i'm saying. This is how they are labelled, and this is how mine was/is fitted now. The opposite from, it appears, everyone else!? I think i've got it right, and everyone else is wrong! (but makes more sense for not suffering sun bleaching of the Felt)

and i've got to agree with you....surely the light grey showing when the visor is tucked up matches with the headlining...it does make sense...!!!!

Re: Sun-visors - Guinney1971 - 20 Oct 2011

I tend to have mine flipped towards the windscreen when I'm not using them, to me it looks neater
then folding them up to the headliner - I guess because if I had mine against the headliner when
in the rest position, then they would show black against grey, rather then grey against grey.