The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Best paint for various parts - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 8 - Frame / Body / Interior (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Best paint for various parts (/showthread.php?tid=2043)

Pages: 1 2

Best paint for various parts - Dan6457 - 01 Jan 2009

Hi there. Can anyone recommend some decent tough paint to re-finish parts under the car which can't be powdercoated such as the front upper arms, shock absorbers, radiator, steering rack, sway bar etc. I don't want to paint it now, then find its all chipping off after a few trips like hamerite seems to do these days.

Re: Best paint for various parts - Dan6457 - 01 Jan 2009

Has anyone ever used this stuff? http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic.cfm

Re: Best paint for various parts - bozzzydmc - 01 Jan 2009

Why cant you powder coat the front upper arms?

Re: Best paint for various parts - Dan6457 - 01 Jan 2009

Because the bushes are permanently in those arms aren't they?

Re: Best paint for various parts - Darren C - 02 Jan 2009

Yes.

But the powder coat would not stick to rubber. Any "overspray" would need to be peeled off. However you cannot bake them without affecting the rubber.

The arms are $124 new each from DMCH, much less than the effort and cost in powdercoating old ones, plus you get NEW bushes!

Regards
D

Re: Best paint for various parts - ChrisS - 03 Jan 2009

Dan1986 Wrote:Because the bushes are permanently in those arms aren't they?

No, you can push them out using a vice but you need lots of support as the arms are quite flimsy.
The only problem is the upper ball joint was riveted in at the factory and of course when you replace them you need to use a nut / bolt to attach the ball joint

Re: Best paint for various parts - Bandit - 03 Jan 2009

Hi Dan
I did actually use Hammerite Smooth on mine, seems fine to me. Just be a bit careful that you don't go for something too over the top, cos' to be honest, its almost impossible not to mark & scratch them when you re-fit the springs.

Re: Best paint for various parts - Bandit - 03 Jan 2009

On a slightly different subject, but while we are on talking about front arms. I re-fitted mine with the original bushes in which looked fine, but then once I fitted the new poly bush anti roll bar kit, which are obviously harder with less give, it pulled the bottom arms out of line.
The bushes in the bottom arms are of course, only rubber, so with the new poly bushes having less give, it pulled the bottom arms.
I then removed them & fitted poly bushes from Ed into the bottom arms, which did the trick.

Re: Best paint for various parts - Dan6457 - 03 Jan 2009

Hi Julian, I already have poly bushes waiting to go in the lower arms Big Grin

I have just stripped out the bushes from the upper arms too so I can have them powder coated after all Big Grin I will put the springs in with the upper arms swung out of the way to avoid scratching them.

I still need to paint my steering rack and a couple of other bits so I might give hamerite a go if you think its strong enough.

Looking at the bushes in the upper arms now they are out, they look more worn than I first thought and need replacing. I find it annoying that I can only get those bushes by buying complete arms :roll:

I used Hammerite on my anti roll bar, and that has been on the car for a good few years now.

Ben how does the anti roll bar look now?

Re: Best paint for various parts - TheOriginalMrP - 03 Jan 2009

It's as clean as it was when you had it....... if you can make it out.......

[Image: n737818879_1044717_1145.jpg]

Ben

I'm surprised it doesn't crack when the bar twists. Oh well as that's been tried and tested it looks like hamerite it is. Cheers Big Grin

Dan1986 Wrote:I'm surprised it doesn't crack when the bar twists. Oh well as that's been tried and tested it looks like hamerite it is. Cheers Big Grin

I know what you mean, still like most things its down to preparation. The other alternative is POR 15 , available from Frost - http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=24&frostCat=Painting&subcatID=37&frostSubCat=POR-15

Oooo now that stuff looks a bit more professional, I think I'll give that a try.

Cheers Chris, you've given me some good advice the last few days.... and also helped empty my wallet a bit more :lol:

Dan1986 Wrote:Oooo now that stuff looks a bit more professional, I think I'll give that a try.

Cheers Chris, you've given me some good advice the last few days.... and also helped empty my wallet a bit more :lol:

LOL know that feeling, how about some nice fluffy dice ! Mr Green

I would recommend you buy some of the proper POR 15 solvent and use gloves when applying the paint, its nasty stuff and not nice to get it on you, takes weeks to get off.