The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Random Wipers - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 3 - Electrical (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Random Wipers (/showthread.php?tid=1239)

Pages: 1 2

Random Wipers - Dan6457 - 15 Jan 2008

Ive got a problem with my wipers. Whenever I take the handbrake off (with engine or ignition on) the wipers start going in the slow speed mode and run for ages. Also when the radiator fans come on it does the same!!! With the handbrake on and radiator fans off the wipers work exactly as they should.

What on earth!!?? Shock

- Dan6457 - 15 Jan 2008

Thats weird. I just filled up the washer bottle because it was empty and now its working fine!! Does it have some system on it that if the water is empty if tells you if it thinks your driving?

- Dodgy Motor - 15 Jan 2008

Maybe yours has a mind of its own, like Herby :lol:
the wiring diagram does not list a low washer bottle system but if I were you mate id just check the earths for the wiper motor and the wiper control, maybe while you were "rectifing" the radio wires you knocked an earth wire off , Smile

- Dan6457 - 15 Jan 2008

No I haven't knocked any wires off. It was doing its thing then I filled it with water and it was fixed. I looked on the diagram too and can't see anything either. Thats so weird. Anyway its working now. It will be interesting to see if it does it again when it runs out of water. Also looking at the diagram, there is no possible link between the handbrake switch and the wipers even if there were loose earths.

Wipers - Darren C - 15 Jan 2008

Sounds like a case of Scotchlock revenge!

I'd check through the earth points on the handbrake light/switch, wipers and both live feeds as it might be poor continuity, and track via the wiper circuit. Sounds like a long shot, but it may just be worth at try.

If it's any consolation I spent two hours last night trying to find out why my drivers door red rear facing lamp packed up when I removed my rear bumper for painting!?

As with me yours may not be related to each other, that's the intrigue and mystery of the Delorean.

Oh yeah the door light ended up as corrosion in the multi plug about 12 inches back from the light. These sit in the bottom of the door and everytime it rains, get wet!!

Have fun.

Regards
D

Earth points - Darren C - 15 Jan 2008

Just a quick note, wiring diagrams don't tend to physically show the position of the earthpoints, several circuits share the same physical earth point, this then inturn can be earthed again by another method back to the battery. That's the beauty of GRP cars.

D

- Dan6457 - 15 Jan 2008

I'll bear that all in mind. The scotchlocks are now in the dustbin so can't get anywhere near the D :wink:

Its now all working 100% perfectly so I'll leave it for now and investigate more if it does it again.

Thanks,
Dan.

- TheOriginalMrP - 15 Jan 2008

Remind me Dan if my car starts doing the same thing, that you was the one that told me to jumper them wires! LOL

Glad it's sorted mate! Keep the washer bottle full! :wink:

- Dan6457 - 15 Jan 2008

Ah you did the jumpering mod to the buzzer plug Big Grin The light now works does it?

- TheOriginalMrP - 15 Jan 2008

It's temporary until i've got a new buzzer. Does yours work passenger side too, or just drivers side?

- Dan6457 - 15 Jan 2008

Just drivers side. Thats the only belt socket with a switch in it.

Re: Earth points - NickT - 15 Jan 2008

Darren C Wrote:Just a quick note, wiring diagrams don't tend to physically show the position of the earthpoints, several circuits share the same physical earth point, this then inturn can be earthed again by another method back to the battery. That's the beauty of GRP cars.

D

Top advice there ! Big Grin

NickT

Wiper fault - Darren C - 15 Jan 2008

Hi Dan,

Had another thought...as you do.

Maybe when you topped up the washer bottle and closed the bonnet this jarred or shocked the car causing the fault to disappear?

These are the worst faults to find!

You may have a short from two cables touching causing the fault, that now have parted when you closed the bonnet and hence it disappeared.

My advice is if it comes back, get a meter on the slow wiper feed and trace it from there.

Good luck
D

Random Wipers - Darren C - 15 Jan 2008

Hi Dan,

Just reading other topics on the Forum and had a Eureka moment.

You've been working around the buzzer and intermittant wiper relay plate recently with jump wires?

My gut feeling is that you may have a rogue single strand of copper cable, it's probably only 6 or 7mm long that may have come off during your buzzer work from a jump/test wire, and fallen into the plug on the buzzer/intermittent relay plate. The one leading to the wiper switch on the column.

This is probably shorting out causing the fault. It may have dislodged when you shut the bonnet after filling the washers.
I'd pull the plug and check it out, it may have fallen out already or still be there waiting to give you grief.

Regards
D

- Rich H - 16 Jan 2008

Quote:Ive got a problem with my wipers. Whenever I take the handbrake off (with engine or ignition on) the wipers start going in the slow speed mode and run for ages. Also when the radiator fans come on it does the same!!! With the handbrake on and radiator fans off the wipers work exactly as they should.

Ah, Lord Lucas - Prince of Darkness. Almost certainly a bad earth somewhere. I haven't got my wiring diagram to hand, but all those systems probably have a common earth point that needs cleaning up....